New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS vs Lee dies...an experiment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks to twillis, I was able to try both Lee and RCBS dies side-by-side. These were for 9mm.

With the RCBS I could never get consistently nice bullets. Lots of crooked seating, no matter what the bullet type or the technique.

I tried the lee, and the problems seemed to disappear. I tried various combinations from the two sets, and determined that the difference came from which expanding die I used.

I over-belled some cases just to compare, and sure enough, the RCBS has a much sharper radius on the bell die compared to the Lee.

I didn't do a multi-thousand round test, but enough to see a difference. Also, most people don't reload for 9mm, and those that do tend to use a progressive.

Still, in my mind at least, the Lee comes out ahead just because of the expanding die. The rest seem to be a non-issue.

Just throwing this out there.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The key for me and staight walled pistol cartridges was to give up on seating and crimping in one step.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Dies for pistol cartridges are hard to beat. There rifle cartridge dies are OK. I have no real complant about them but I prefer the RCBS rifle dies myself.
The Lee factory crimp dies are the best thing sense sliced bread. [Smile]
Dale

Posts: 52 | Location: Harlingen, Tx, USA | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
For bolt action rifle (neck sizing only) the Lee Collet dies are extremely good. I have them in .308 and .270, and with good brass they will produce cartridges with .002" or less of runout.

The Lee Collet dies must be properly adjusted and used, and for this reason they've tripped up many a newcomer to the collet type die. But once they are properly set up, they'll make the best ammo you've ever turned out.

There are some dies on the market that cost four times as much as the Lee Collets, but cannot make better ammunition...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee dies for rifles are short and cheeezy looking. The decapping expanding rod on the Lee is held in place by a collet.If there is any oil on the collet or rod it slips and you can strip the nut overtightening it.When I shipped my stripped die back for warranty,quick and free,I bought a RCBS F/L die. Some times I get lazy,when I need a dummy it's "there's enough lube left in the die "that works for the Lee but not the RCBS,the Lee has a better finish. A collet held expander rod is a pain but it is more centered than ANY screwed in one. I like Lee's latest shape of their expander rod,too.The lock-rings work well IF you use two of them and jam them together.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no complaints with Lee die's they work, and are cheap. I prefer Redding over RCBS, the worst dies are Lyman.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
Most of my dies are Lee. I have a mixed set of RCBS (FL size & seater) and Lyman (neck size) for my 7mm TCU. They work well.

I like the Lee dies a LOT. BUT - even BETTER - the Lyman "M" expanding die for straight-walled pistol cartridges. Instead of just flaring the case end, it opens it up in a true anulus to accept the bullet and keeps it parallel to the case wall. VERY NICE. No tipped or crooked bullets as you start your seating.

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i found lyman's multi-expand die is the best choice for me after trying all the others. i have all the expanders from 32 to 45. i wrote lyman about a 30 expander for the 7.62X25 and 30 mauser, and they replied the do not make an expander for the multi-expander die in rifle calibers. as long as they have been making reloading equipment, you would have thought they would have heard of the various 30 caliber pistols. also, for me, hornady's seating die is the easiest one to use with the best results.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott - Interesting comments. I'll have to put my vote along side GSF's. But there are enough positive comments here about the Lee dies to start me wondering. A good many of their products are without equal, like the factory crimp die. But I am surprised at the comments about their smoothness. I have never found them to be as "smooth" or well polished out as RCBS or Redding.

I shall look further.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Pecos,

I think you're correct about the finish of the Lee's. They aren't as polished as some dies, but I just remove the expander ball (or mandrel in the case of the Lee Collets) and chuck it in a drill and polish it mirror bright with 400, 600, 800, then Flitz. Normally, this reduces the diameter of the expander or mandrel by about .001" to .002" max, which is a good thing for neck tension in my opinion.

I recently began loading for the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. I bought a $9.95 set of Lee RGB dies. I removed the expander, polished as mentioned above, and the dies are turning out ammo with .003" and less runout with Winchester brass. I feel fairly certain that runout would be even better with Lapua or Norma cases.

I think folks pay too much for loading dies in most cases...

Dan Newberry
green 788

One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green 788:
For bolt action rifle (neck sizing only) the Lee Collet dies are extremely good. I have them in .308 and .270, and with good brass they will produce cartridges with .002" or less of runout. <br /><br />The Lee Collet dies must be properly adjusted and used, and for this reason they've tripped up many a newcomer to the collet type die. But once they are properly set up, they'll make the best ammo you've ever turned out. <br /><br />There are some dies on the market that cost four times as much as the Lee Collets, but cannot make better ammunition...<br /><br />Dan

I agree with relation to the colet dies

1. I have to polish the internal mandrel for a slightly more snug projectile fit, but once I did this, bullets seated firmly

Run out was minimal compared to standrd neck sizers

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote