New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR+wsm=65,000 psi??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to the range the other night with my buddy and his 7wsm in browning BAR. I recently read a reloading article on the wsm's and it said if you reload and approach factory velocity you are probably getting near 65,000 psi.
I guess I might have to believe it. His BAR with 24" barrel was clocking 3060fps with 160 partitions and federal factory ammo.
WOW--the best we ever got out of his ruger bolt action with 160 pars was about 2970 before high pressure signs showed up. (7mm rem mag)
I'm curious.....are the BAR's in WSM reinforced in any way over and beyond other calibers??
I've got to give these factory loadings credit....they have to be as brave/bold as weatherby factory loads and most everyone knows they are on "the edge".

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen exactly one BAR fired in 300 WSM. It was blowing primers with Win. factory ammo.

Posts: 1496 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky

65,000 psi is about equivalent to 50,000 cup and is not necessarily excessive for the BAR.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KevinNY,
Could you explain in a little further detail what the primers in the Win. factory ammo were doing in the BAR that you witnessed being fired. I'm not sure I know what a "blown primer" is. Pierced, yes. Usually a firing pin problem. BUT it can also be a sign of high pressure.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
are the BAR's in WSM reinforced in any way over and beyond other calibers?

Sorry kraky, got distracted.
I don't know why they would have to beef up a design like the BAR for a short mag.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kraky, I picked up a Longtrac in 300 win mag and can't get it past 2880 fps with 180's and RL22. More powder does no good. This is not a max load either at 74 gr. Some barrels just are faster. Shoots right around an inch though so I think it's a keeper.You go shoot a Caribou yet?

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliffs2--Hey Bruce have you tried factory ammo yet?? We're gonna reload for my friends 7wsm but I bet we have a scary time trying get near that factory velocity. I escpecially thought in a auto with a (usually) slightly looser chamber we wouldn't see that speed.
Re carribou--yep got back...great trip..hunting was only part of it...experiencing the way people live up in the arctic circle was the neat part. It was warm up there and the carribou had barely moved into the area. But with 6 guys we got 4 bou and a moose so we have plenty of sausage and goodies for the year.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky, I have seen similar velocities (high) in BAR's in the WSM's. Despite so many detractors, I have seeen a lot of the WSM's deliver impressive velocities--like they are supposed to. If you've got one that is a 1" gun, that sounds super!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well that 7wsm was not a 1" gun--more like 2.5" gun. But we have dies coming. We'd certainly be happy to give up 100-150fps for a 1" result!! I was just amazed at the factory ammo velocity and I'd sure like to hear of some pressure test results with this factory ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky, I too would be interested in some pressure #'s. I'm gonna poke around Brownings website, see if they have any info.

I chronographed some loads this morning and my 300 wsm with factory ammo was outrunning my 300 Win Mag with the same bullet in the same factory loading. This has not been typical, the WSM is usually about tit for tat with the 300 Win Mag--my barrels are the same length in both rifles.

PS--heavy for caliber bullets shoot best out of the BAR's I've fooled with.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, I got an Abolt in 7mm wsm and I have got it up to 3150 fps with 140 partitions with 68 gr RL22, and I am led to believe that I should be able to get to 70 gr, which would probably get me well over 3200. In my experience, if you are going to get heavy for caliber bullets going fast and accurate in magnum loadings, either RL22 or Magpro with some IMR 7828 as a wild card seem to be the best.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote