New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 PPC dies for Contender
 Login/Join

<joelblatt@aol.com>
posted
I have a new SSK Contender carbine barrel in 6 PPC and wondered what dies to use. To keep breech force down, I have to keep loads under the "factory" load, what ever that is, so we're not talking 6 PPC bench rest loads. I have heard pro and con about using neck dies on the Contender, but I'm willing to try it - I usually just back my FL dies off and they work fine, and I've had success with Lee collet dies in .223 Rem. What's the group's advice - (1) bushing (Wilson or Redding) dies, (2) FL dies, or (3) other types of neck dies (Redding or Lee collets)? Thanks....Joel in Florida

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Joel, what kind of chamber? PPC-USA or PPC benchrest? What is the neck? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<joelblatt@aol.com>
posted
Forgot to say - it's a standard chamber (i.e., not tight neck). The barrel came with 40 rds of new Sako 6 PPC USA brass - I think this is the same as Redding's 6 PPC Sako and Wilson's 6 PPC oversize.
Joel in Florida

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Joel, I think I am correct to say that that is the "USA" version.

If it were mine to do over (I shoot a falling block in PPC), I'd get the Redding body die (which I have), and the Lee collet die. If you want to get REALLY fancy, you get a bump die, but I'd just use the Redding body die.

In my falling block, I can get away with neck sizing, if I don't hot-rod.

Oh, by the way, I strongly suggest the Lapua 220 russian brass. It has a couple grains more capacity, and is harder (i.e. doesn't deform as easily under pressure). In my falling block, I can reach 300 fps more with my Lapua brass than with any other. Besides that, Norma and Sako have both D.C.'d PPC brass, so you'll have to switch, eventually.

If you go with the Lapua, be aware that you will have a .270 - .271 loaded neck, which is right at the saami limit (.270 neck for PPC USA). This might cause your Redding Seating die to pinch the neck as well (.270 clearance), creating all kinds of havoc with your accuracy. In other words, check your necks, and be prepared to turn. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote