Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon Titegroup in 9mm
 Login/Join

posted
I've purchased some Hodgdon Titegroup powder and want to reload for my 9mm. I have no reloading data and according to the powder container it says to use 4.8 gr with a 115gr Spr. GDHP to get 1158fps

I have 115gr fmj and 115gr tmj
all i have for a powder measure is a yellow 5gr LEE powder spoon would 5gr be too much or would i be better off trying to measure just a little bit less and hope it's around 4.8 gr

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I started off using TG in my 40, it works but is a little dirty in my opinion. I think it really has to be in the right pressure range before it burns clean. As, for the charge, BUY A SCALE. You are going to need one eventually, and pistol rounds, especially with a low charge weight powder, can be especially dangerous. Those lee spoons work, but be aware that the spoon does not measure weight, but volume. You have to cross reference with the chart the powder you are using and the proper spoon size. I would be very wary on using it, especailly for a beginner. Best of luck

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
BUY A SCALE.

Ditto.

Unless you have absolute confidence in your measuring method, you have to check yourself by weighing. And the measuring method itself is confirmed by weighing. Inexpensive electronic scales are not reliable and are best avoided. In beam scales, the Dillon is the least expensive of the better scales and can be purchased for $55; it has an excellent reputation. There are cheaper beam scales that will serve, but avoid the cheapest, the Lee Safety Scale. It has a bad reputation and deservedly so. An inaccurate measurement can hurt you.

You can adjust your dipper by inserting a spacing shim in its bottom. But you have to use a scale to confirm the charge and then practice to become consistent (weighing each charge) with the dipper so that you have confidence in your method.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
I started off using TG in my 40, it works but is a little dirty in my opinion. I think it really has to be in the right pressure range before it burns clean. As, for the charge, BUY A SCALE. You are going to need one eventually, and pistol rounds, especially with a low charge weight powder, can be especially dangerous. Those lee spoons work, but be aware that the spoon does not measure weight, but volume. You have to cross reference with the chart the powder you are using and the proper spoon size. I would be very wary on using it, especailly for a beginner. Best of luck

IMO, dipping uberfast powders is an acciident waiting to happen. Ture, the Lee dippers usually throw charges slightly less than stated, when trying to run high end loads w/ powders like TG, best to verify loads w/ a good scale.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote