New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage AI Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a 250 Sav AI, and I'm in need of load information.
If anyone has one, or knows of loads for that chambering, I would appreciate learning them. I'm starting off with some 75 grain bullets because I have them on the shelf, but any bullet weight info you have would be great.

Thanks,

Don

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the twist of the barrel is? That will help determine what weight bullet to try, which can then help point to a powder range.

I have no experience with a 250, AI or not, but that is how I approach wildcat loads.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Do you know what the twist of the barrel is? That will help determine what weight bullet to try, which can then help point to a powder range.

I have no experience with a 250, AI or not, but that is how I approach wildcat loads.

Mark,

Thanks.
It's a 1-10 twist (Shilen CM) barrel.

Don

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
DMB, There's all kinds of info in the 5th edition Sierra manual. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks. I appreciate the lead.
I'll get a copy. My Sierra Loading Manual is an old one.

Take care,

Don

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
P.O. Ackley regarded this cartridge as perhaps the best of his creations. "This is one of the best of the so-called 'improved' cartridges. It shows a greater percentage of increase in velocity than almost any other."

Here are a couple of loads from p 335 of his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, Vol. 1. . P.O. was known for a propensity to go a bit on the hot side in his loading data. I would not use any of his loads without starting at least 10% below and carefully working up!!

90 grain bullet - 43 grains IMR 4350, MV 3336 FPS
100 grain bullet- 43 grains IMR 4350, MV 3276 FPS
125 grain bullet- 42 grains IMR 4350, MV 2952 FPS

Another approach would be to use standard 250 Savage data, and work up from there. If you do, I suggest using the slowest of the powders shown for the different bullet weights. This tends to help keep pressures within reason!

The 90 grain bullet is the lightest Ackley shows, but there's no doubt you could use the 43/IMR4350 load as a starting load with your 70 grainers! It would probably give you over 3400 FPS with those. That's plenty fast for varmints!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
In mine, nothing came close to Re-15 in terms of both velocity and accuracy. My loads/velocities mirrored those in the Sierra manual quite closely.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote