New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet bullets ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found some old Remington 45 grain hp bullets and Winchester 46 grain hp's in my hoard of reloading supplies. The Winchester's have a large hollow point and I was a bit skeptical of them, particularly.
I started both bullets with 12.7 grains of Lil'gun in a Winchester case with Rem 6 1/2 primers. The rifle is a Stevens 322. At 13.2, both of those bullets were shooting better for me than my usual bullet, the 45 grain Hornady Hornet bullet!
Has anyone else had good results from these?

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used these bullets, but I'll bet your results will be even better if you change to small pistol primers.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like those bullets in the Hornet, especially for groundhogs if I can find them any more!

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Hornet bullets were .223" while new 22 caliber bullets are all .224". Do you know which size barrel and bullet you have? It could make a difference in accuracy.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.......with one exception that I know of. Sierra makes (4) Hornet bullets.

.223 40gr
.223 45gr
.224 40gr
.224 45gr

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
One of those things which tends to defy description is why that Winchester 46 gr HP shoots as well as it does. I have gotten many sub MOA groups at 100 yards with them in my Brno, both with AA 1680 and now the new standard, Lil Gun.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Hornet shooter as well, but for some reason I can't get Lil'gun to shoot in my rifles, although the velocities are spectacular. I'm using neck sized cases and Fed 100 small pistol primers. The good news is that H4227 and WW296 with various bullets generate tight groups when I do my part.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
My Contender Carbine likes 1680 and the 46gr Speer FP 218 Bee bullets. Groups from .5>.7. Just one of the anomalys that happens. Great 200 yd load.

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the Winchesters, but the Remingtons do much better than the mediocre performance I've come to expect from most bulk Rem bullets. That said, nothing quite compares to the little 35 gr V-Max by Hornady. They exhibit knife-edge accuracy in both my Hornet and K-Hornet, and are devastating on small varmints.

Like Johnly, I've had poor luck in finding an accurate load with Lil Gun (at least in the Hornet; it is magic in a large-bore handgun). For "full power" loads I like WW 296. For slightly more sedate "fun" loads, I put 6.7 grains of Blue Dot under the little Hornady and shoot it all day long at 2700 fps. It's only about a 125-150 yard load, but then it's a HORNET for god's sake. If I wanted more speed and range, I'd pull out one of my .222's, .223's., .222 Magnums, or .22-250's. Keep your Hornets throttled back and enjoy them for what they are; your thin little Hornet brass will last a lot longer that way, too.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote