New
Find
Notify
Tools

85 gr.HPBT Sierra:
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody use these for hunting ? Thinking on trying some. Will be running 3700+. Thanks for input. JP

Posts: 32 | Location: victoria,tx | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
No but, If your talking about a .243 bullet: Have a cousin who used that bullet in a 243 for many years quite successfully on Mule deer and elk. Around 3100 I think.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
best 6mm bullet ever made, but it's a varmint bullet. at 3700 it will blow up on game - how do you get 3700 out of it????

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loading it in a 6-06. Using nosler part. in it now. A lot of fun to shoot. JP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of deer with that bullet with impact velocities as high as 3000fps with excellent results. I do think if you have impact velocities over 3200 you are going to have penetration issues. Even at 3k I saw pretty nasty blood shot circle with about 8" diameter, but the deer hit the ground like he was chasing free money.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them in a 6X45 on deer with very good results for expansion/tissue damage and penetration. With good placement they did the job as well as any other bullet could IMO at the velocities available with a 20" barreled 6X45.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to use 70gr for the 6x47 & 6x45 . 85 gr for my 6-06 . we will se how the work. The 70gr work real good on whitetail for the 6x47. Thank for all the feed back. JP

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
One of many useing Sierra 85 out of a 6x45
All were DRT

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lot of punch power. Going to try them out on a pig soon. JP

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of deer with the old 75 gr. Barnes HP monolithic bullet, now discontinued, so I went with the GS Customs bullet and its a dandy and I get one to two inch exit holes on broadside or angling shots with my 6x45 and quick kills are the norm.....I have had blow ups on shoulder shots with both the 6mm and hot 22s on a couple of occasions some year back using Sierras so be sure to stick the bullet in the ribs and stay away from the front leg and shoulder.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote