Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for short barrel .243
 Login/Join

posted
I have a ruger .243 compact with a 16 1/2" barrel and have been loading it with 95 grain nosler ballistic tips using 40.5 grain IMR 4350. The velocity is 2600 fps with about a 1 1/4" group size. I am loading it one grain under max because at max load the groups gets larger. I have been advised to use a faster burning powder because of the short barrel to gain speed and possibly accuracy. Can anyone tell me if that is the right thing to do? Does anyone have a suggestion on loading a short barrel rifle? Thanks guys...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that's short! Must be excrutiatingly LOUD!

I load for a 19.5" 243. The thing with faster powders is that they are proportionately less affected by shortening barrels BUT the velocity wasn't there to start with.

Say you can manage 2,800fps with a 100gr bullet and H4895 and 3,000fps with RL22 all in a 22" barrel. Shorten the barrel to 16.5". For the H4895 to catch up, the RL22 has to lose an extra (200/(22-16.5)) 36fps on top of the H4895.

Now I can tell you that this isn't the case in my 19.5" 243 which is substantialy faster with RL22 and 105gr speers than any other powder by far.

But going down to 16.5" maybe a whole different ball game. Hornady treats loading for 243 pistols (if memory serves at 16"?) as requiring a seperate entry and does tout faster powders.

You could try a high energy double base powder such as H414 or N550. Be sure to wear sunglasses at night and carry a fire extinguisher! Big Grin

IMHO the best way to get extra velocity in short barrels is to go down a bullet weight. The 243 really picks up velocity with 85gr, I use standard 85gr soft points but there is the partition or the TSX if you so desire. I would say 2,800fps could be acheived with one of these with a max load of IMR 3031 (which for the partition is 36gr) Mine own managed slightly over 2,900fps with this recipe which also has the benefit of reducing muzzle blast and flash. H4895 is another powder that could be tried and for which load data also exists.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
with that short barrel i'd try H414 or H380

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 37gr of IMR-4064 with the 95s. 2.715" OAL.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hornady treats loading for 243 pistols (if memory serves at 16"?) as requiring a seperate entry and does tout faster powders.

Might want to quiz the Contender guys as to what they find best.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
There are loads list in the Sierra Manual and # 26 Hodgdon Manual for 243s in Contender style barrels or "single shot pistols"....

not max, but I'd load 35 grains of IMR 4895 for accuracy.. it has a lot less "boom" than H 4895..and still gives the same velocity potential..

I always believe in a short barrel, the faster the powder the Better...

IMR's old Brown Pamphlet listed each powder they made with each caliber...

I'd seriously be looking at the likes of IMR 4198, IMR 4227, IMR SR 4759...If you can live with 2400 to 2500 fps, I think you'll end with a lot less muzzle blast, better accuracy....

With that short of a barrel on those, I wouldn't be expecting it to be a 300 yds rifle...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thing with faster powders is that they are proportionately less affected by shortening barrels BUT the velocity wasn't there to start with.

Exactly! Even with "short" barrels, the optimum powder for velocity will continue to be the optimum.

That said, you can sacrifice only a few fps of velocity and lower your muzzle blast to some degree. Muzzle blast is related to both the volume of gas exiting the muzzle and the pressure of that gas. Faster powders will generate a tad less volume, and significantly less muzzle pressure. H- or IMR-4895 is an excellent powder that exhibits lineal pressure/velocity changes. It would give you velocities nearly as good as 4350 with a bit less muzzle blast. But don't leave off your ear protection, anyway Smiler

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use h-380 in a 18" barrel great accuracy and it does not start any fires.

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 15" barreled Savage Striker in .243 and with most of the powders I've used I've found that more isn't better, the groups opened up. So far what I've settled on with a 58gr V-Max is 37gr. IMR3031 pushing 2840fps. I've taken a groundhog at 350yds. Anything past that and it really starts to drop. It's also produced this three shot group @100yds.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Certainly can't argue with DEC's load....

anything that turns in that group.. go home and call it a day...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote