Find
Notify
Tools

The need for speed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm just playing with the 22.250 Ackley Improved using the 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades with H4895 and I'm not at max pressure yet.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id like to see a prairie dog at 50 yards hit with that load.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:

It's going to Wyoming with me in September, I'll see if I can get a video.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by df06:

It's going to Wyoming with me in September, I'll see if I can get a video.

Video is always nice. Red mist for sure

Having shot many thousands of p dogs that load will mist them a lot further then 50 yards.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old First of all fantastic. The fact that you were able to get that result using 4895 for some reason blew my mind away. Do you intend to try any powders with a tad slower burning rate? Maybe Accurate 2520. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait, it becoming more clear to me...yes, I see in your future a smooooooth bore and no throat! They make barrels every day and that looks like fun. I once shot a pigeon with a 220 swift and 40 grain B-Tip at 75 yards. The head, both wings, and the ass all flew off in different directions while rest became a red blob against the hay mast.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
4593 fps is pretty impressive. Over a Prairie Dog town it may be a little much. Depending on the heat of the day and/or the heat of your barrel you may only see pretty white streaks and no hits as the bullet disintegrates in flight. Been there, done that with a 17 Remington.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The maximum I've pushed a 17 caliber 25 grain Hornady HP is 4647 fps. It made in across the chrony but not to the 100 yd. Target. I don't push my 204 Ruger 32 grain Hornadys over 4100 fps and in fact I try to keep it around 3950-4000. I have shot 36 Grain VG s in my 220 swift and that didn't work out so well

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a lot more accurate at 4350 fps so I'm loading it to book levels.

This 26" PacNor, 3 groove barrel is the fastest barrel that I've ever had. As a 22.250 it shot every load 150 - 200 fps faster than the books say and the first 200 cases lasted me over 10 reloads. As a 22.250 AI it's still exceptionally fast.

When I re-chambered it to AI, I cut an inch off the butt end to get a fresh throat and it worked perfectly. Because it's a heavy barrel I can probably do that again.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Frank, what twist does that barrel have?

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
Frank, what twist does that barrel have?

It's a 10" twist, 3 groove, Supermatch.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
New Kern County record...

330696 RPM dancing

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote