THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anyone chrono 375 Ruger 270 gr loads with the Alaskan?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone chrono 375 Ruger 270 gr loads with the Alaskan?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
No matter what I do, I can't break 2600 fps using the 270 gr Horn. bullets and handloads!! Anyone with the 20" Alaskan have a load that chrono's over 2600 fps? Maybe I'm expecting too much. I LOVE the gun, don't get me wrong (It groups EVERY load I put thru it very nicely), but the factory ballistic seem a little optimistic. Actually, a lot optimistic!

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old4x4:
No matter what I do, I can't break 2600 fps using the 270 gr Horn. bullets and handloads!! Anyone with the 20" Alaskan have a load that chrono's over 2600 fps? Maybe I'm expecting too much. I LOVE the gun, don't get me wrong (It groups EVERY load I put thru it very nicely), but the factory ballistic seem a little optimistic. Actually, a lot optimistic!

Try Hornady Factory ammo? They use their powder that you & I can't buy dancing

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo? Yuck I don't do factory ammo...

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
No one chrono'ed any of their handloads?

Charles Bronson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Quinns, on GunBlast.com chronod their test rounds as I recall...and found favorably in favor of the new round..but they used the longer barreled African model...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Get rid of it and get a real .375~~~~The .375RUM!

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2600 FPS is all the velocity that you will ever need with a 375 and a 270 gr. bullet, another 100 or so FPS will change absolutly nothing in the field, and your bullet performance on game will be better over all...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Ray..I suppose you're right. I have the Hornady (factory) reloading info and you'd think it was for some other ctg! I'm 150 fps short with the same loads they use (using the 20" barrel). It just drives me crazy. I can get around 2575 fps. But then again, I can get that with my 375/284 that this gun was supposed to replace. It's a cool gun, tho..

Charles Bronson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old4x4:
I have the Hornady (factory) reloading info and you'd think it was for some other ctg! I'm 150 fps short with the same loads they use (using the 20" barrel).

Hmmm? Perhaps all their marketing hype is a little white lie designed to sell their product? After you've bought it and it doesn't live up to their claims, what ya gonna do? Accept it, is all.

Hornady had a good reputation when Joyce was running the show.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote