Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of F4J
posted
Can anyone offer a recommendation, pro or con on a good basic Chronograph? I would like to be able to read results at the shooting position.

Thanks,
George

Posts: 21 | Location: Exeter, NH | Registered: 22 December 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Get a Shooting Chrony! I set mine up 10' from the muzzle, and I can read the results of each shot from the bench without even moving from behind the gun. I've had an ITCC, an Oehler, and the Chrony. The Chrony is as accurate as the Oehler. Unless you want to get the Oehler personal ballistics lab., which is a lot more than just a chronograph!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Shooting Chrony and have gotten good service from mine. Reading are accurate and reliable. I have heard of some complaints with them that required returns for service. I have also heard good things about ProChrono product. These are nice basic units that are easy to setup and use. Never heard of a problem with them.
http://www.competitionelectronics.com/shooting%20products.html

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Eldeguello
Quote:

Get a Shooting Chrony!

Yup....it's not expensive...it seems to be quite accurate and it just plain works. It should be considered a basic tool for a good reloading system.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CED Millenium

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Shooting Chrony, and am very happy with it.

I've never had a lick of trouble with mine, but some people seem to have trouble getting every shot to register. I only shoot a days that are clear enough that I can see the tripod shadow. Anyway, if you do buy the Shooting Chrony, and if it doesn't register all the shots, don't mess with it, send it back.

If I were buying a new one today, I might take a strong look at the CED Millenium, just because it has an optional LED attachment for shooting indoors, and sometimes that would be a great convenience.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own the Gamma Master Chrony. Very nice, printer included.
Remote screen makes reading each shot a snap

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the Shooting Chrony, F1 and gamma model. Can't beat em for the price. But you need good conditons. I was getting varying results in blue skys and sky screens, and overcast, no sky screens. Also got more consistent results with scotch tape over the photocells.

If I had the flow, I would go with the oehler. There is rarely a questioned result. If your like me and playing around every once in a while, go with the shooting chrony.

Another thing is the Millenium model. It can be used indoors or under low light conditions.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ANY THING bets no chrono to death...

I like the shooting chrony's, with remote.. as you can read and reset from the bench

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler 35P is what I use. If I had to buy another chronograph, I would get another Oehler 35P

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of F4J
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info;
There were quite a few posts in support of the CED Millenium...but without data or documentation...any thoughts? All the input is very much appreciated.

George

Posts: 21 | Location: Exeter, NH | Registered: 22 December 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Thanks all for the info;
There were quite a few posts in support of the CED Millenium...but without data or documentation...any thoughts? All the input is very much appreciated.

George

Have not tried the CED. Nor have I seen one in use, so can't comment. However, I have not heard or read anything NEGATIVE about them, either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
F4J, I'm clearly the odd man out here, but I have had great success with my Pact professional Chrono. It has some deep software that I haven't really gotten into at all, but it's there if someone really wants it. It has a built in printer and sits on the bench right beside you, and the skyscreens can be about 12 feet away from your shooting position.

It has not been picky about lighting conditions, maybe I've just been lucky, but I just set it up like the instructions said for with the skyscreens, and it has worked inside and out--I've even chronographed my bows and the only thing it has been picky about is that it would not read an arrow with white fletching--I guess it just couldn't 'see' the end of the arrow.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Pro-Chrono for under $100 10-15 years ago. I keep telling myself I'll buy a new and improved one as soon as I shoot the Pro-Chrono but I haven't hit it yet! It can be slightly figity in really bright sun, but otherwise it works really well. The Best things about it are that it's inexpensive, and easy to carry. All you need is it's 18"x4x4 box and a tripod. No extra wires, long screen spacers etc are necessary. Others might be slightly more reliable and accurate but from what I've seen are more trouble to carry and set up.
The one thing I'd be willing to go to the setup trouble for is to have one that will read directly into a computer or PDA..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I also have a Pact, but it is the Model 1, no software or printer. What I like about the Pact as compared to the various "Chrony" models is the fact that all of the electronics in the Pact sit "on the bench" and are not subject to "shooting damage"

I also have had some problems in bright sunlight, but overall it has been dependable. When I have gotten erroneous readings there was no doubt, when it was of, it was WAY off. (like 2000fps)

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks all for the info;

George

Dillion markets it. I think its great if light is a big concern for you. Oehler, pact, and shooting chrony all require healthy doses of light to work consistently. The CED does not. If light is not a concern then I wouldn't bother. Do a search on CED mellinium or Dillion reloading.

Or here is thier website. Looks like you have to buy the infered sunscreens separately for no sunlight.

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote