Find
Notify
Tools

35 gr. V-Max loads for 223 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I know I should have looked at the manual first, but I bought a box of 35 gr. V-Max bullets and all of my manuals start at 40 grains for the .223, Not one of my three manuals lists a 35 grain bullet of any sort. Please help me shoot up this box and next time, I'll look at the manual before I buy.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You can use the data for the 40 grain V-Max and simply work up with all due caution. The 35 grain V-Max bullet loses steam very fast, and accuracy has been sub-par in everything I've tried it in.

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that is correct. I have no idea what to expect from the rifle. It is a Pardner single shot that my nine year old son rec'd as a gift.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shot great out of my hornet. Call Hornady they should help out. I shoot alot of their bullets they all work very nice.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Friend and I bought a group of these when they were listed as seconds at LS&B. They are in no way a long range bullet (beyond 200yds), but they're great for my grandsons/ granddaughters using 680 ball powder or 4198 in .223s!

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I was not able to develop reasonable load using the 35 gr v-max bullets in my Tikka. Keep in mind that the rifles shoots better than 1" groups using most factory ammo, but I was not able to even get 1" groups with the 35 grain pills. I was hoping to come up with a accurate low recoil load for the 223.

I hope you have better luck. If you do, I would be very interested in hearing what you end up with.

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Prof242

May I ask what load your using in your .223 with 680? Do you know the FPS of this load? If not I will load some up and chrono them...thanks

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
I use them in a 222 Sako A1 and they shoot great.
Max loads using AR2207 gives around 3500fps and an almost identical trajectory to 55grn Nosler BT's so I can use them interchangeably out to about 200 metres or so.
I love them. Dynamite on small critters too.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote