Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lose primers in expensive cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

...with the tools I think that you could have gas escape around the primer and erode the bolt head.What do you think of this?

I think it depends on your rifle. I have several Remington 700 rifles that have shallow but noticable erosion marks on the bolt face around the firing pin hole -- these burn marks are in a circle around the hole, and the circle is exactly the diameter of a primer. So gas was escaping around the primer from some loads. As far as I can tell, this has not harmed the rifles or the bolts in any way, although I definitely would not recommend making loads that produce it.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi :
Very good posts.
The primarily caliber with witch I am working is 7x66 SEVH.
I understand that when you put more powder in your case in some moment the load it's turning hot and you have to come back with the load.
The problem is that it is very dificult to get the cases here in Argentina and I transform 300 ultra cases .
So I try to get the most shots with one case.
Also with the tools I think that you could have gas escape around the primer and erode the bolt head.What do you think of this?
Sincerely
GT

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merry christmas to all.
When you are using cases very expensive and scarce and after several shots primers start to be lose.
Does anyone do something trying to recuperate the case or just drop it?
Thank's .
Guillermo Trotz

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas to you as well.

Any sign of high pressure is enough for me to stop and see why. What cartridge, gun and load is doing that?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
your loads are a little warm.cases dont last forever,hotter loads make them go faster.loose primer pockets are a sign you are loading somewhat hot,but you can wreck them in a single load.lasting several loads would say to me you are loading somewhat hotter than factory,try backing off a few grain and your cases will last longer.the ones that are loose now should be discarded ,there is no fix.

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others here that this is usually a sign that your loads are too hot. However there is at least one other thing that you can try: try switching brands of primers to see whether a different brand will be slightly larger, and thus still be tight in the case. It's entirely possible that you have a batch of primers that is running small, while you have a batch of cases whose primer pockets are running large. In that situation, you are likely to get loose primers even if your loads are within what should be a permissible pressure ceiling.

I would take this as a signal that you might as well use a less expensive brand of case. I see little evidence that less expensive cases will give you less satisfactory loads.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a tool for tightening loopse primer pockets. R. W. Hart makes it. Midway sells it:

web page

I agree that either your loads are on the hot side or your case heads are on the soft side. If it's soft brass you've got, maybe working it a little wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for it.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or go to www.rwhart.com page 8 of their online catalog. They offer tools for both large and small primer pockets.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
>>Does anyone do something trying to recuperate the case or just drop it?<<

Guillermo,
You might check several brands of primers for a larger diameter. The Windchester primers I have are larger than the Remingtons and Federal primers that I normally use. I have some 30 year old 45/70 cases that have been loaded many many times. They have never been fired with high pressure loads. The primer pockets got loose from being primed so many times. The larger Winchester primers permit me to continue using these cases.
Otherwise reduce your loads to protect the rest of your brass.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not done this, read of it. I would try it on some scrap brass. the idea was to make a hollow punch that was larger than the primer pocket. A rod would be inserted into the brass and fixed to a base. the hollow punch would be placed on the brass and struck making a ring indentation in the base and displacing some brass inward shrinking the primer hole. I do not think this method would shrink the entire pocket but merely close the top opening somewhat. again, I have not tried this. I would follow the advice of looking for the largest primer I could find, CCI?? JB

Posts: 104 | Location: Roanoke, VA , USA | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote