New
Find
Notify
Tools

Static electricity and the RCBS UniFlow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My new UniFlow is dispensing +/- .5 or .6 with H380.

There seems to be a lot of powder clinging to all the interior surfaces. Should I disassemble and wipe it all down with a dryer sheet, or just go ahead and give Mr. Harrell a call? [Big Grin]

Mike TBC

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Mine does much better, no worse than +/- .2 and I've filled lots of .22/250's with it. The dryer sheet thing works but I'm not sure that's the problem.

With the Uniflow or any volumetric type measurer consistancey of operation is the key to consistant powder drops. Use the same stroke on the lever each time you dispence a load. Take care not to jar or tap the measurer wile using, it settles the powder. Fastened to the bench well so it dosn't move. Tighten the locking ring to be sure the volume adjustment screw dosn't move. Keep the powder level in the mid rande in the hopper. You don't say how large a charge you are dispensing but use the proper cylinder in the Uniflow. They come with a large and small volume cylinder.

Any of the volume type measurers have a hard time with the stick type powders but do quite well with the flake & ball powders.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just try running a couple pounds thru it without any regard for throwing a particular charge. Fill the hopper, open it up all the way, and start crankin'! This will give it a "coating" and the "cling" will disappear. Then it'll work slick as snot!

H380 will meter with great consistancy. Generally, no more than right on the money and never more than +/- 0.1 grain...

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes practice to operate a powder measure consistantly, any powder measure. Take time and practice bumping the handle the same number of times with the same pressure, especially on the "filling" stroke. Each powder will "bind" or hesitate at the cutoff a little differently. If a particular strokes binds differently, it either has more or less powder than usual; dump it and throw another charge. Just like the piano, practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Lyman 55, and every now and then, it acts up in a similar maner. I clean it with a dry rag, and lubricate the moving parts with graphite.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the RCBS I have a Redding. Included with mine is a powder baffle that sits inside the column. The baffle is there to keep a uniform weight on the powder just above the chamber. In the pictures I have seen of the RCBS it doesn't have this baffle. You might try making one from a piece of light weight tin or brass. It is bent in half with the pointed part up. At the bottom edges are openings (small cuts) that allow powder to flow past it. The baffle supports the weight of the powder above it and helps maintain a constant weight of that powder that is directly above the chamber. Mec has a similar device for the shotgun shell loaders.

Just a thought,

As Trapdoor indicated sometimes it just takes a little time and use to get everything clean, dry, and moving smoothly.

[ 09-06-2003, 02:55: Message edited by: Byron ]

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I measure every throw so it doesn't matter. I use stick powder so I never feel comfortable just throwing without checking.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a similar baffle as Byron for a Dillon powder measure and it works OK.
It is installed in the bottom of the powder plastic container.
This baffle has two opposing V slots. The slots are placed crossed on the "built-in" plastic baffle of the Dilon container. It is not possible to see the botom of the powder recipient.
Powder is forced to follow a sinuous way.
I beleive both baffles impede direct pressure excerted by powder column on hopper.

I suppose measure manufacturers do not provide this baffle because of some powders types do not flow well with it. I reload powder similar to Unique with no problems.

It is possible a compromised solution between both variables, pressure and powder flowing, by varying the height at the baffle is installed.

Hope this help
BA Shooter

[Smile]

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
<rifleman>
posted
Is the Measure brand new out of the box? If so it may very well have been shipped with a very light coating of oil. I had the same issue when mine was new. I took it apart, wiped it inside and out, and no more problem. Otherwise the dryer sheet would be my second choice.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapdoor:
Just try running a couple pounds thru it without any regard for throwing a particular charge. Fill the hopper, open it up all the way, and start crankin'! This will give it a "coating" and the "cling" will disappear. Then it'll work slick as snot!

I haven't worked with a RCBS measure for a long time, but I do use a Lee, and the instructions that came with it said to do what Trapdoor describes here. I think that this is likely good advice for breaking in any powder measure, regardless of the make.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Static Electricity and the Unif-Flow powder measure:
My measure is 30 years old. If it is possible to "un-screw" things and remove the plastic, do so. Wash the plastic in diswashing detergent...do not dry but allow it to air dry. If this does not work try wipeing it out with a dryer sheet.
I always keep a wooden pencil on the bench for tapping the cylinder to remove any powder that stick inside.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A couple of things (after doing the dryer sheet thing).

A baffle does make a difference. You can use a giganto fender washer if you want.

Double tap at the top, and then count to two. Makes it more consistent, too.

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote