New
Find
Notify
Tools

What About Quick Load ???
 Login/Join

<.>
posted
I looked at the Quick Load demo, and it seemed NOT to include data for .223 Ackley Improved.

Someone told me that I can enter case capacity, etc, and compute my own data with this software. Is that true?

What about .223 Ackley Improved? Is this caliber listed with Quick Load?

I'm not so much concerned about exterior ballistics. My focus is on developing wildcat loads and what the internal pressures are doing. Also, I'd like to see some spread sheets that provide data extrapolations regarding increases in load weight, bullet weight, etc.

For instance:

If I have data for a 40 gr bullet and a 50 gr. bullet. What happens internally (pressure/velocity) when I use a 45 gr. bullet.

OK . . . those are the sorts of questions I have. Who knows the answers?

-- and thanks!

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

<Don G>
posted
You can do everything you want in QL. There is no built-in model of a 223AI, but you just call up a 223 Rem and change the data and save it. Presto, 223AI.

You can also change bullet weights, powder charges, etc. To your heart's content.

Don

<500 AHR>
posted
My only problem with Quick Load is that it is not very accurate! I have seen very optimistic velocities calculated by this program, as well as, unsafe pressures for rather modest loads. It seems to have problems with cartridges that have fairly good expansion ratios. I would not trust anything calculated with Quick Load because I have never once seen any validation or correlation data that would/could validate the assumption made in the math modeling utilized by the program.

If you have a copy of COTW look at some of the velocity/pressure combinations that are published using QuickLoad software. They are completely bogus! I provide this as an example because many people here can see directly what I am talking about. I have seen similar results to the COTW data run by friends of mine.

Straight walled cases are really bad as all almost all your big bore cartridges with very little necking down. It might work OK for varmit rounds like the 223 and such. I have no experience with those.

Todd E

[This message has been edited by Todd E (edited 04-22-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
QL is a tool, and data from it has to be used carefully just like data from a reloading manual. I was looking in my QL manual yesterday afternoon, and what Todd E says is correct.

The QL manual has a "Limitations" section in it that say the program may not give accurate results for, or due to:
1. Straight walled cases and cases with small shoulders
2. Chambers with freebore or bullets not seated close to the lands.
3. Different brand/types of primers.
4. Variations in different lots of powder.
5. Longer powder columns.

With all that said, for most bottleneck cartrides it will give a reasonable estimation of pressure and velocity. I have noticed that it does tend to overestimate velocity and pressure, which I would rather have than the opposite.

It can be a good (but expensive)tool, but it doesn't replace careful load development, and the output should be crossed-checked with reloading manuals. It ought to be pretty good with the 223 AI.

If you are only working with a couple of mild wildcats, you might be better off buying $150 worth of different powders to try out.

FWIW, If you don't have a chronograph, buy one BEFORE you spend the bucks on QL.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
Ive used quick load for about 1.5 years it absolutely does not work with short, fat cartridges. (its not even close) Of course they tell you this right up front. It has worked best with standard bottle neck cartridges in factory rifles. Yes its true you can change the volume to the improved case volume in order to get more accurate loading data. I would imagine it would work well with the 223 but I haven't tried that one.