New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 A-square question
 Login/Join

posted
Hello.
Im new here and I just bought a TC Encore 338-06 barrel from the TC custom shop. Its the 24" barrel. I have TAC, Varget and H4895 on hand and Nosler 200 gr. accubonds and 200 grain speer hotcores. I also have both standard and magnum primers.
I dont have a chronograph. whats the best way to develope a accurate low velocity (2500 FPS) load and a hot load without a chrono?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Simplest way I can see is load to the bottom of the listed loads. ON Hodgdon's sight they show starting at 50gr of H4895 at around 2600. I have other data showing starting at 45grs. 4895 is very forgiving on lower pressure loads. For the high end work up until you have pressure signs and back off or to the stop of the charts if you prefer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A chrono isn't required, but you will have no idea what vel. you are getting, jsut guessing. Start w/ the middle book load & work up until you get pressure signs, then back off 1gr. Accuracy loads are where you find them. Every rifle is diff.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just load three rounds at the starting loads with each powder you have load data for and go check for accuracy. Dont forget to clean the bore after each different type powder.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=469101968#469101968

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote