Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb question: what is moly?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
I'm rather new to reloading and I read about people using moly on their bullets. What exactly is it and what does it do? Do you just soak the bullets in it before reloading?

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Kory,
it's powder molybdium(sp)...

you apply it, if you were so inclined (i am not anymore) by pouring some of the moly dust into a clean (purpose use only) tumbler bowl and put the bullets ONLY in for a few minutes.. the moly impregnants the surface of the bullets, and reaches a uniform color... others can give you rules of thumb, i am jsut teelling you what it is.

the purpose is to reduce bore friction, which CAN result in lower pressure for the same load
and can allow you to burn more powder, getting a higher MV, perhaps...

it requires, generally, that your bore be "coated" that is to say, have about 20 rounds through it before the groups settle down....

some folks swear it improves groups, and some folks swear wearing boxers gaurranty that your wife will conceive a boy...

i played with it a bit, don't care for the extra hassle, and don't use it.

give it a try, see how it works for you
jeffe

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what jeff said and..........first time I saw it ....it was being sold as a dry film lube in a spray can (called TFE). Came out of the can like gray paint and dried quickly to a film. It isn't sticky or clingy so dirt is less likely to adhere creating problems with contaminents. It has some limited industrial uses and has been used some for bullets coating with mixed reviews. It can be messy to work with as it has a nasty habit of rubbing off on everything and it is black or very dark gray. I tried it...gave it a good run for the money and followed proven procedures and still found it less than desirable to work with. To each his own.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Molybdenum disulfide. Can be put on bullets, or put into the bore directly. Used because it is very slick (thought to increase accuracy and perhaps increase speed), and isn't affected by high heat.

Drawbacks are hard to remove buildup in the throat area after prolonged shooting, and the mess. Claims of improved accuracy were not proven on the short range benchrest circuit. Claims of increasing bore life are disputed on the long range shooter circuit.

For example, see: http://www.neconos.com/details.htm

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote