Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Whats everyones thoughts on these bullets, specifically in 338 WM @ 225 or 250 grs. Easy of loading, performance, any recovered bullets or just general observations!

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the tipped yet. But, apparently, they are somewhat harder and require a bit more velocity to open. I haven't seen anything on why this is so, but I'd speculate that this is due to the thicker front end; the tip replaces the very thin copper at the front of the bullet. And like I said I don't know this; I just read it on the internet. I've been very pleased with the plain TSX. I just haven't tried the others yet because I'm not out of the other.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey bisonhunter, I bought a box of 225 gr 338 TTSX's and one of the tips was broken off. This is a pic of that bullet and a 250 gr TSX

The hollow point behind the plastic tip is larger and it should not have a problem opening up. However IMO the hollow point in the TSX is large enough to make opening up a sure thing. I shoot the 225 TTSX in my 338RUM but have not had the opportunity to shoot any game with it yet.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both in the 6.5 caliber, the TSX on a .264 win mag and the TTSX on the 6.5x55. Both gave well under and inch accuracy. I have not killed game yet with either one though, so I cannot give any testimonials to that. The tipped give a bit better BC, so that is good.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 225gr ttsx on an elk last fall. It blew clean through both shoulders & kept on going. I've also used the 210gr tsx & have never recovered one.

It didn't take much tinkering to get either to shoot well in my guns.

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Barnes .308" 130 gr. TTSX in a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Heck, the Barnes mono bullet is just about right between a Cup & Core 150 & 165 grainer size-wise.

Haven't Chronied it yet either but it ought to be moving at a solid Warp-Factor; perhaps 8?

Haven't taqged a critter with one yet but I'm doing all I can to make this happen; Oh, Yeah it WON'T be a Roe Deer; probably tear it in half.

I'll post the results.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the plain ol TSX. Shot a deer with a 110gr out of a 6.8spc and IIRC a 120gr out of a 25wssm. Both were pass thur and bang flops.

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Just today ordered a few boxes of the Barnes TSX, 250 gr for the .338. Will do some test firing and side by side compairions with what I was gonna origanly take on my africa trip. So will see how this all works out.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of 210gr/338 ttsx to work up some loads (banning lead bullets in Kommifornia). It has been amazingly accurate in my 338-06 & 338x74K. I may try them on elk this fall.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1:
Whats everyones thoughts on these bullets, specifically in 338 WM @ 225 or 250 grs. Easy of loading, performance, any recovered bullets or just general observations!

Willi

can't help ya with the 338 cals, but for reference, I can attest to 100% satisfaction with these:

270: 110 TSX/TTSX, 130 TSX/TTSX
30.06: 168 TSX/TTSX

Game killed: whitetail, mule deer, black bear, pronghorn.

No recovered bullets.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1:

Willi

Very good bullet, no reloading problems, accurate, excellent weight retention.

This is .338 225 grain TSX from a nilgai I killed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haver been shooting a 338 Lapua with the 265 gr. TTSX and I recovered one of the bullets that I had shot out to 500 yds, it only lost about 5 grains. My opinion they are very good and will be going on my moose and griz hunt this fall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are very easy to load and accurate. I don't think you will see a performance diffrence either in trajectory or expansion until you get past 500 yards. I have loaded tested both in 270 thru 338 and many chamberings and they are very consistant through the velocity spectrum in like calibers. You will be happy with either style.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have used 7mm 150 & 160 gr TSX on Mule deer, fallow deer, Himalayan Tahr & a large black bear at 307 yards. All were one shot kills and very effective. Very accurate too.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
I haven't used the tipped yet. But, apparently, they are somewhat harder and require a bit more velocity to open. I haven't seen anything on why this is so, but I'd speculate that this is due to the thicker front end; the tip replaces the very thin copper at the front of the bullet. And like I said I don't know this; I just read it on the internet. I've been very pleased with the plain TSX. I just haven't tried the others yet because I'm not out of the other.

LWD

After shooting a bit of game with both I agree with the TTSX being "harder". I've quit using them and gone back to the TSX.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
quote:

LWD

After shooting a bit of game with both I agree with the TTSX being "harder". I've quit using them and gone back to the TSX.
What are you seeing that leads you to think the TTSX is harder?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:
quote:

LWD

What are you seeing that leads you to think the TTSX is harder?

Lack of reaction to hits and lack of internal damage compared to the TSX. I've shot 5 or 6 Mule Deer, Whitetails, and a Bull Elk with 140 TTSX's in a 280 AI. My hunting partner is using the 140 TSX in his 280 Rem and I've used the TSX extensively as well. IMO the difference is very noticeable.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lack of reaction to hits and lack of internal damage compared to the TSX. I've shot 5 or 6 Mule Deer, Whitetails, and a Bull Elk with 140 TTSX's in a 280 AI. My hunting partner is using the 140 TSX in his 280 Rem and I've used the TSX extensively as well. IMO the difference is very noticeable.

Ok thanks. I don't have that much under my belt yet to compare. Lots of experience with TSX but not TTSX yet. I took a TX pronghorn fall of 08 with my 270 at 200 yards using 110 TTSX. Didn't take a lot of time to examine damage but it was plentiful and destroyed. Shot a blackbear in BC with a 168 from the .06 and it died quick with plenty of destruction to lungs as well.

I personally couldn't tell the difference, but that's not a lot of experience yet either.

I didn't hit bone on the pronghorn but I did on the bear.

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Although your asking about the 225/250 grain bullets I loaded 210's for the 338/06 my wife and I used in South Africa and Tanzania we shot over 20 plains game and most one shot kills.

We could not have asked for better bullet performance and the few bullets we recovered were textbook. We killed elk sized game, kudu and zebra specifically out to 356 yards and these bullets made the 338/06 perform like one of it's Big Brother cartridges.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Likewise. Took zebra, impala, sable, wildebeest, waterbuck, bushbuck with the 210 TTSX and all one shot kills and all passthrough with the exception of sable and it was perfect mushroom against offside skin. And they shoot little tiny holes!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote