Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
Was recently talking a guy I hunt with who is skilled in the reloading game, and he told me that he really doesnt do much case prep, except that he always swages the primer pocket, and has never got a Rem or Win case to shoot without doing this. For $27.00, seems like a good investment, only problem is, every review i have seen talks about how they bent the rod extremely easily. Any experiences on this tool, and how well it works?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you just have to adjust the rod so it's just right,then it works.by the way it's easy to screw up a anvil for some folks.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine. It will fit a rockchucker press, but not many other lighter presses. Not enough clearance.

You do have to adjust any tool to the right specs. Lot of force with that multiplier in the rockchucker. I don't doubt you could bend the rod but whose fault would that be.??? RCBS is pretty good about helping replace damaged parts.

For mil surplus cases I ended up with a CH, I think. Fits on top of the press. Bit quicker. Don't know if it would do the uniforming you probably seek. Happy New Year. Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
...he always swages the primer pocket, and has never gotten a Rem or Win case to shoot without doing this.

This is the part that interests me. Any discussion?

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
he usually only shoots high end brass (Norma, Lapua, etc). I think what he meant was that he has always seen an improvement in cases that have been swaged.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone who owns one stopped me from buying one.
I got the Dillion Super Swage, and it is great.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most everything written here correct.
I too, have bent a couple of rods if you don't watch it.
Very easy to apply excessive force and the 223's I range collected in the past tended to vary in case length which is a recipe for a bent rod.
Yes, RCBS is fantastic in getting your errors corrected with new parts but it is still a pain to shut down what you were doing and wait the 2 weeks to receive the new part.
Recently have gone to the RCBS primer pocket conditioner on the motorized Trim Mate and really like it better although I can see it being tedious IF you have a boatload of cases to do.

Have never used the Dillon system so I cannot comment on it.

Going back to the RCBS swager, it does the job easily and quickly JUST GO SLOW and don't apply excessive force as the RockChucker can easily overtorque the rod and bend it.

My 2 cents.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to swage a small amount of brass at a time just about any swager will do the job well enough.
But if you are going to be swaging large lots of brass the Dillon super Swage 600 is an excellent investment. This tool takes the drudgery out of swaging primer pockets in military brass.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The swagers were developed to remove the crimps from GI cases more easily/faster that reaming them out. It's surely needed for use of surplus mil. cases. But it's by no means an "accuracy" issue and I can conceive of NO such improvement from swaging uncrimped factory cases.

Pocket swaging is a mechanical thing and those with little mechanical appititude often have problems with it, and a lot of other reloading tasks as well. Still, it's not hard and anyone can learn to do it right eventually.

Both the RCBS and Dillon swagers work well but I believe fewer folks will have trouble with the Dillon designed tool. Without the massive leverage of a press, fewer people will continue to press down when the punches have done their job. That will greatly reduce the quite common punch bending problems.

Personally, I prefer to use a Lyman pocket/crimp reamer followed by a Lyman pocket uniformer AND then a Lyman flash hole debur/uniformer. All that work really does make for more consistant primer pockets and flash holes. But, I do it because I want too, same as my neck turning. It's not that I can see any automatic or even measurable improvement to accuracy attributable to the case processing! It does seem to reduce the incidence of "flyers" but I can't really prove that, I do too many of them all by myself!

Such tedious case processing (or the use of high-cost cases such as Norma or Lapua) is just a comfort thing for any factory sporter with a common factory barrel.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dillion Super Swage

+1 Dillion Super Swage is the one I use

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote