New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet seating question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys im new to pistol reloding. ive got some 357 rds done. but when i seat the bullet I can see powder flakes between the side of the bullet and the case. im using 7.7 gns of unique the case isnt full of powder you can hear it when you shake the round.is it dangerous to shoot these rounds. and what is causing it thanks

Posts: 55 | Location: southern il | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...

Once the bullet is seated you should see nothing as the bullet and case should be touching. But if you get powder there you must ask how it got into the area. Is it not stuck to the case before you seat the bullet. Maybe you have some lube from sizing inside the neck picking up the powder when you charge the case. Try to keep everything upright whilst you seat.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Outback
What bullet weight are you using?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have lube on the inside of the case mouth. The powder grains will not hurt anything.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is no lube I am using carbide dies. im loading 158gr sierra bullets. I shot the rounds today with no problems. am i maybe flaring the case mouth to much.

Posts: 55 | Location: southern il | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to post a picture of a sizedand belled case. And one with the base of a bullet in it - as you would have it in the press before seating.

I would doubt theat belling is the problem, but let's see a pic.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Fine flake powder and static.....just shoot

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote