Find
Notify
Tools

The "AVERAGE" gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
I'm preparing a talk and was going to mention that the "Average gun and the average shooter could reliably hit a circle of "X" diminsion.

I have no idea what "X" is... so I though I'd do a survey. Without setting up a poll, I'd like to ask everyone who views this post to reply with a list (one per gun) of the average group, shot on an average day. No "BEST GROUP EVER" or I just got all three shots on the target at 50 yards, but something like:

Vanguard, 300 WSM, 1.25"

Nothing complicated and if you've got more than one gun, post them all. And If you don't like your group size feel free to PM me. I'll do the stats and report back the first week of 2005.

Most and least accurate make, model, caliber (and Shooter) as well as fancy regressions and charts... if there's enough to be statistically accurate i'll even do stats by make, model, caliber.

Thanks for your help with this. I know it may be a long list for most on this board.

Rifles only please

Cutoff for data input is Jan 1, 2005

Thanks very much in advance

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 257RAI rifle that since I built it, has averaged .84" for 5 shot groups @100m with any 72 or 75 gr bullets with any powder and any seating depth, and on any day. = .8moa

I also have a 44 mag rifle that keyholes so bad, it can't keep them on the paper at 25 yards. = 32 moa

If I average those two rifles together, I get 16.4 moa.

Now if you want MEDIAN, half my rifles with do better than 5", and the other half I have not shot yet.

Oi, bad statistics is easy!

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Rem Model 7 300 SAUM= 1.0"@100 yd. avg.

Rem 700VLS 243 Win= .8"@ 100 yd

Ruger 77 7mm Rem Mag= 1.0" 100 yd.

Ruger 77 270 Win= 1.5" 100 yd.

Handi Rifle Heavy Barrel 223 Rem= 2" 100 yd.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Hummm....

It would be easier for you to go to http://stevespages.com/targets.html

I have several listed there...with all the important data.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this off a rest or sandbags? No direct gun rest, but with elbows on a table? Offhand?

Until you put in the rifle only clause, I was going to say Ruger 41 Mag, offhand, 16" at 100 yards.

223 Browning A Bolt w/BOSS, reliable 5/8" five-shot groups at 100 yards, bench rest.

SKS semi-auto, 3 1/2" groups at 100 yards, bench rest.

Howa 1500 243, .9" five-shot groups at 100 yards, bench rest.

Browning 30-06, with BOSS, 3/4" five-shot groups at 100 yards, bench rest.

Hungarian Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54, 4" five-shot groups at 100 yards, bench rest, iron sights.

Swedish milsurp Mauser, 1 3/4" five-shot groups at 100 yards, bench rest, iron sights.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Just to prove a point, I'm guessing:

Average spread, 1.3"
Most listed gun, Remington 700
Most listed Caliber 30-06

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote