Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 200 gr Load Info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I wanted to share some data that I worked up for my 8x57. I'd asked questions in the past on here and folks were very helpful. I hope this helps anyone else with an 8x57.

First, the disclaimer. Start below the loads below and work-up. Check speeds and cases.

My rifle is a Mannlicher with a 20" #2 barrel that I've posted on here in the Custom Built Rifles forums. It's built on a Spandau M98 action.

I originally tried some factory S&B ammo for it in June 2011 to prep for an Africa trip. The ammo didn't group and made the bolt handle incredibly difficult to lift. For my trip I ended up ordering some ammo from Superior Ammo after trying a sample pack and finding 200 gr Accubonds as the best grouping bullet (under .5 MPOA, everything else was 1-3"). When I ran out last year, I decided it was time to do my own.

I had 3 rounds of ammo left from Superior and clocked at 2,267 to 2,304 fps. Now onto my data.

Load Info:
Brass: Remington
Bullets: Nosler 200 gr Accubonds
Powder: See below, all loads at 46 gr. I measure each pour when developing a new load to make sure they are all spot on.
Primer: CCI-200 LR
COL: 2.980" (equaled COL of Superior Ammo)
FPS: Measured at chronograph at 10 ft from barrel

IMR-4350: 2,188/2,194. Didn't check grouping, to slow
IMR-4064: 2,373/2,456/2,457/2,483. .8" MOA
Varget: 2,420/2,428/2,430/missed a reading. .75" MOA

What's interesting is that the 4064 and Varget printed in the exact same 1" square on the target (I taped off holes between loads). From what I have read, they are very similar powders.

I decided to go with the Varget for my load for several reasons. First, it had the lowest deviation. Second, it was closer to the original load I had, which was sufficient to take trophy a waterbuck, 6x5 elk, and 7x8 red stag. So I figured ~2,425 was just fine and it grouped better.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the data. One of my future projects will be a 8x57 built Mannicher style with a 20 inch barrel ( I have several 8mm barrels and M98 actions to pick from). Rifle is intended to be a light weight "dark timber" rifle for Elk where a long shot is 50 yards. A 200 grain bullet at around 2400 ft/sec would be deadly.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a #1 barrel versus a #2.

Yes, great rifle for tight spots. I'm sure it could do a lot more loaded to a longer COL, but as you state, a 200 gr bullet at 2,400 fps within 200 yards is deadly!!!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote