New
Find
Notify
Tools

280AI Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working up loads for my newly build 280AI and have run into a problem. After my cases are fired 3 or 4 times, I have a vey hard time closing the bolt on an empty neck sized case. Also, very difficult to lift the bold to eject the case. I once had a 6 mm that did the same thing and I found that if I bumped the shoulder back slightly with a FL sizing die - no more problem. I used a FL sizer on the 280AI cases - screwed the die down to touch the shell holder - it didn't help. Any suggestions? I am using Redding dies and a Forrester Co-Ax press. Loads are warm but under max in Nosler's new manuel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have your gunsmith take a little bit off of the bottom of the die,..so it threads down further.

Try a Body die,.and see if that does it.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also check brass length, see if it needs trimming. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can also have some removed from the shell holder. It's cheaper than a die.

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my Redding 280 AI dies. Just take a little off the bottom and then rebevel the bottom of the die and smooth. For some reason Redding has this problem quite a bit.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote