Find
Notify
Tools

How many necks sizes before cracks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Just wondering. I just started shooting a 223, and neck sizing reduces the neck 10/1000'ths each time. Anyone dare hazard a guess as to how many resizings it will take before I get cracks? I've never had a chamber this sloppy before.......

Any 223 brass with thicker necks than military or Win?

TIA, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Just wondering. I just started shooting a 223, and neck sizing reduces the neck 10/1000'ths each time. Anyone dare hazard a guess as to how many resizings it will take before I get cracks? I've never had a chamber this sloppy before.......

Any 223 brass with thicker necks than military or Win?

TIA, Dutch.

I wouldn't want to hazzard a guess with the variances in lots of brass but it sounds like you need to get set to anneal the necks after 3 or maybe 4 loadings and this will take care of the split neck problem before it starts and keep the necks flexable to hold the bullets consistantly and extend the life of the brass......good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
On "Steve's Loading Pages" there is information on that subject.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Dutch~
Same for me. Just started messing with one. I had two cracks in the very first firing while forming!

I got both R-P and WW brass. Most necks cleaned about .0105". With a sloppy chamber of .015" I'm not sure it's even worth turning to clean those necks. The brass is to cheap to worry about it. But what do you do for accuracy in the meantime? I'll also be interested in any suggestions.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
some more info, I have a batch of 100 rounds of 22-250 rem brass that has been reloaded about 25-30 times. full length resize every 5th reload neck size in between also every 5th reload i anneil the necks, lost a few rounds from odds and ends and 4 rounds from one load because i thought i had anneiled them but i donot think i did.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Bigdaddy, I dunno, it's hard to justify annealing something I can buy once fired for much less than a dime........ If I can get four or five halfway accurate bangs out of it, I'm a happy camper.

As usual, Steve's page has some interesting stuff on it. I don't buy the analogy that re-sizing a case is the same as firing it, as I have cracked my share of cases. Usually at the shoulder or at the expansion ring, though, not usually at the neck. The only ones I have busted the neck on is some Norma PPC brass, after 4 shots, and it was moved about 11/1000's per sizing............ .

Well, I'm about to find out how 223 brass compares, I suppose. Thanks all, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote