THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Adnormally small flash holes in Speer and R-P brass

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adnormally small flash holes in Speer and R-P brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have encountered a quantity of Speer and R-P 357 Sig brass that have flash holes so small that the depriming pin is being pulled out of the decapping rod on the return stroke of the press. I have never encountered this in any other cartridge brass before and I am just wondering if others had encountered this problem.

This is happening with a new Lee 357 Sig resizing die. In addition, I usually check for media in the flash hole and remove it with a depriming pin on an old decapping rod. On many of the cases, the pin was a very snug fit.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happens fairly regularly with RWS .222 Rem brass - although nominally the flash hole should be standard size.

One option: get pins (or decap die) sized for 6mm (or .22) PPC flash holes - if available.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Have had it happen with certain Hornet cases also. One solution is to remove and place the decap rod in a drill and with fine sandpaper slightly reduce the size of it, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happens with RWS brass sometimes. I enlarged the flash holes to the standard US size or as close as I could get, temporarily, and then I changed to US brass because of other problems with the RWS stuff.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Flash holes come in 2 different sizes. Mostly in rife brass. http://www.sinclairintl.com/.a...hhole_Reamer____0625

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
On my Hornet and other brass, which gives me that difficulty, I deprime them all as best I can, and then I use a flashole uniform tool, no problems after that, with any brand.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to loading the .357 Sig (love it actually). I use decapping pin from 9mm rather than from .40 s&w. At least in my Redding and RCBS dies there are 2 sizes of decapping pins and the Sig wants the smaller one.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I learn something here every day..

DH

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote