Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm ppc
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all, I am looking at having a 6mm ppc built. And wanted to know if I can buy brass ready to load without a lot of work that I dont know how to do? I reload for my 22-250 and my larger rifles, But dont know about fire forming and neck turning. Maybe this is a round that is to complicated for a beginer? And also what powder seems to work the best in a 1 in 12 shooting a varmit size bullit? Thanks for any help. Prtsman13

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prtsman133:
Hey all, I am looking at having a 6mm ppc built. And wanted to know if I can buy brass ready to load without a lot of work that I dont know how to do?

... And also what powder seems to work the best in a 1 in 12 shooting a varmit size bullit? Thanks for any help. Prtsman13

Yes, factory brass can be procured - Norma makes it (availability can be spotty), and Graf's sells a brand they label as "Silver State" - less expensive than the Norma, but possibly also of lower quality??

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/660

The 6mm PPC is a great round, but be aware that if you have a rifle chambered such, you have to specify a chamber neck diameter which will allow you to use unturned brass. The 6mm PPC was never standardized, and most guns are built with custom reamers with custom dimensions (bench resters being what they are...). In contrast the 6mm PPC USA was standardized, and a chamber cut for this cartridge will accept unturned Norma brass (but not unturned, necked-up, fireformed Lapua .220 Russian brass - the preferred brass of the bench resters because it can take such high pressures).

Another option for a (laregly) equivalent cartridge would be the 6mm BR - for which excellent Lapua factory brass is available. Also here, you have to make sure your chamber is cut for no-turn necks. The 6mm BR may make more sense if you are looking for a 1:12 barrel, it handles the heavier bullets a tad better than the PPC.

If you like the idea of the 6mm PPC, you may also be able to find a second hand Sako factory rifles chambered for the 6mm PPC USA. These guns are not cheap, but they normally shoot really well.

A good place to look for a used 6PPC rifle is Shooter's Corner. Many of these are built for turned brass, but that can be fixed. Be aware that "The List" is not necessarily up to date, so you have to call to confirm availability of rifles in the list.

The standard powder for the 6mm PPC is the VV N133.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are guys on benchrest central that will sell you cut ppc brass. Got to know your neck size and what bullets you will use.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Since you say you are a beginner, I would strongly suggest a 6BR and not the PPC. Get a reamer for Lapua brass with a .272 neck diameter and you won't need to do any case mods. The Norma PPC brass is soft, and Lapua 220 Russian brass requires fireforming to convert to the PPC. Lapua 6BR brass is better than Norma and much cheaper.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Pointblank knows what he's talking about.... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote