Notify
Tools

Latest Range Events
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
old
FYI: Did some down loads with my .358x41, using Blue Dot, H110 and Trail Boss.
Roll Eyes With the Blue Dot 185 grain bullets and 200 grain Were fairly accurate but very sooty sooty.
Frowner Same thing using the H110.
The degree of soot indicated that further reduction could well have caused gas in my face. In the past I have had this happen'
popcornThe trail boss was used with a 168 grain gas checked bullet. Performance was not great, but there was hardly any soot .
Smiler
The recoil for each load was negligible .

2020The guy on the bench next to me was having accuracy problems with his bolt action .308. The reloads that a friend of his loaded for him were no where as accurate as store bought ammo.
homer The reloads had a huge variety of commercial and military cases,
The OALs seemed to vary.
I could pull some of the bullets easily with my teeth.
barfAt that point I didn't want to go any farther with an evaluation and the shooter told me he would never again use reloads. SAD day! thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
offtopic yeh, those public shooting ranges produce some interesting characters as well. diggin

guy next to me was shooting an AR. He shot over a 100 rounds and some of the time I was getting hit with his empties. moon I let him use my fold out case as a back stop and that helped.

Accuracy was terrible. he was resting the barrel on the front rest not the fore arm.
after a short conversation he convinced me that he was an expert. flame

rotflmo EXPERT= X meaning has been.. SPERT= a drip under pressure

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful using Blue Dot for reduced loads. It's fairly well known to blow things up.

Did you try to explain to the guy that it's not reloads that caused those problems but, the experience of the guy doing the loading and adjustments of the dies? Not all reloads are of best quality, same as new parts don't mean they're good to use regardless of what they're for.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Not to mention reload for someone else's rifle, I'm sorry I'm not wasting my time developing loads for someone else's rifle.

And the two public range stories. Case and point why I drive 200 miles round trip to shoot where i do with only the people i invite. I have no tolerance for idiocy experts on the firing line

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thankfully I have a great range at my house, I can hear all of your stories and just laugh.
I used to shoot at a membership range that was an absolute zoo with "experts" and saw plenty of things to scare me and make me just shake my head.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote