New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 4064 in .223 REm?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering if anyone has tried Accurate 4064 powder in the .223 Remington? It seems to be very similar to Varget in burning rate and kernel size. I loaded up some tonight to test tomorrow, just to see. In neck sized LC 04 cases I loaded 26.0 gr and 26.5 gr with the 50 gr Nosler SHOTS bullet. My manuals show 26.0 gr of IMR-4064 with bullets up to 55 gr in the .223, and the Accurate and IMR 4064's are very similar in burning rate. I have loaded 27.0 gr of Varget behind a 55 gr Nosler SHOTS bullet with decent accuracy and velocity. I just wondered about AA 4064. (It is a bit cheaper than Varget, if you can find it. If it works well, I may have to order an 8 lb keg or two from Powder Valley) I am also testing it in my 6.5x55, which shoots well with IMR-4064, and my .243 Win. If it works decently in the .223, it may be possible to load all three cartridges with that one powder. I'll post my results. Any guesses?

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to testing some .223 Rem. loads with Accurate Arms 4064 powder. There is zero published data for this powder in the .223 Rem, but since they claim it to be near identical with IMR-4064 (which also puts it close to Varget and Reloder 15), I thought it might be suitable. Out of my 26" barrel Remington 700 SPS Varmint it shot pretty well. The velocities are a little low, but I think it shows some real potential. The loads were in neck sized LC-05 brass, 50 gr Nosler SHOTS bullets, WSR primer.
26.0 gr average 3,150 fps two 5 shot groups at 100 yards from a bench averaged .71". If you throw out the first shot from a cold clean barrel, the 4 and 5 shot groups were both under a half inch. The 26.5 gr load averaged .92" at 3,222 fps, but the second group had some definite horizontal stringing that could be attributable to the gusting winds when I was firing that group. With the neck sized cases, I believe I could get at least another .5 gr of powder in there. I will load up some with 27.0 gr and test them. If the increase in fps per 1/2 gr of powder is the same, I should be able to get up around 3300 fps with that load. That isn't too bad of velocity if the accuracy holds up or even improves. I'll see how it works out, but for now I will keep on loading Ramshot TAC until I use up the 10 lbs or so I have left. Then will have a decision to make.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI have used Accurate 4064 in the .223 with bullets ranging from 60gr. to 75 gr. with good results. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
It really starts to shine much more when the bullet weights are 68 grains or more...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 02 September 2008 10:30
It really starts to shine much more when the bullet weights are 68 grains or more...

Which won't help me since both my .223's are 1 in 12" twist. (Weatherby Vanguard Varmint Special and Remington 700 SPS Varmint)