Find
Notify
Tools

H4895 in M96!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys,

I have had limited success using H4227 and H4198 in my Swedish Mauser. I prefer to fill up as much of a case as i can (mainly to avoid a double charge). I am looking for a reduced load that will fill enough of the case to make a double charge alost impossible, i.e. comes up to the top or overflows!

My reloading manual doesn't list it for 140 grain cast but, it is listed for a 140 grain jacketed projectile and Hodgdon write this

"H4895 powder was chosen because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly in reduced charges. For years H4895 has been the top choice of cast bullet shooters. For this type of shooting, loads are reduced even more than the hunting loads listed here. To create this type of target and plinking loads, we recommend our 60% rule with H4895: Refer to our latest reloading manual or the Reloading Data Center found on the website; take the maximum H4895 charge listed for any given cartridge and multiply it by 60%. The shooter can create a 1500 to 2100 f/s load, depending on the bullet weight shown. This works ONLY where H4895 is listed. DO NOT use H4895 in a cartridge where it has not been shown."

As the maximum load listed for H4895 is 36 grains; 60% is 22 grains, to avoid the possibility of a double charge 24 grains.

What do you guys think?

Is anyone using a load like that?

Thanks

Posts: 49 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used loads like that in my son's 6.5x55 using 140gr hornady interlocks.

Eventually I bumped it up a bit to where he was getting close to 2300fps.. But even with the minimum loads he killed hogs and deer quite effectively..

His rifle was a turk mauser that I rebarreled with a brand new 100yr old swede barrel... It worked fine for him...

Should work good for you too!

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Might try Trailboss. Give Hodgdon a call and see about data for it in your swede.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
H4895 has always been my "goto powder" for reduced loads - for over 40 years, however, TrailBoss is a new powder that is very bulky and can be used in any case for reduced power loads. It takes up most of the space in the case so it would be impossible to double charge a case. It will also give you lower velocities than you can get with H4895 but it will never give you the top velocity that you can get with H4895.

It comes down to how much reduction do you want and do you want a separate powder just for that purpose? Answering the questions should give you your choice.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Swede will shoot just about any powder for a rifle out there and then some.
For a put-put round that fills the case, use the surplus .50 BMG powders. You can fill to the bottom of the shoulder and LEE crimp the bullet. Heavier is better for bullet weight.
Gas check for sure.
You will get very good accuracy out to 300 yards.
No leading. low pressure. Some unburnt powder in the bore.
There is only one powder you will need to watch your loads, that is IMR-7383. The pull down .50 SPOTTER cartridge powder.
The powder can spike if you compress too much. do not use a magnum primer.

LoadID 8807
Bullet Privi Partizan FMJ
Bullet Weight 140 grs
Powder IMR-7383 Pull-Down
Powder Weight 37.0 grs
Primer WLR
Brass Make Privi
Barrel Length 27 (inches)
C.O.L (inches)
Velocity 2550 fps
Group 100 yds 1.0 (inches)
Submitted By Rapidrob
Gun Info AG-42B
Comment Cycled rifle. Very accurate

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingMy data indicates that 140 gr. jacketed bullet driven by 15 grain of 4759 was deadly accurate. In as much as you are using cast bullets you could safely increase this powder charge. The 4759 is also quite bulky so a 16 to 17 grain double charge should over flow. 4759 has almost always given me accurate results. Try i. You'll like it! beerroger

shocker Well I tried it. I was wrong! 34 grains of 4759 in a 6.5 X 55 case does not overflow. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Trail Boss for this cartridge (I only got around 3 MOA at 100 yards) and others with more success.

I should have outlined at the beginning, I am looking to shoot this Swedish Mauser accurately out to 300 yards and I want to do it with cast (economics)!

The requirements:

1) Accurate (3 MOA) out to 300 yards.

2) Almost impossible to double charge so 23 grains or more!

3) Preferably minimal leading of the bore.

4) Preferably without fillers, gas check separation has got me paranoid enough already!

Below is a 10 shot group, I shot this morning; disregard the 2 40 cal holes.

This is what I getting out of the M96 at around 1900 fps, 140 grain, gas checked, number 2 alloy, using H4198, OAL 3.025" without a filler! Looking at those ten shots,this load won't get me out to 200 accurately and I trying for 300.

I have put around 300 shots down the barrel using various loads of Trail boss, H4227 and H4198. I have also tried different OALs and mild through to hard crimps. That's why I asked about H4895, generally from my experience more of a slower powder yields better results out a 300! I guess the 6.5X55 is a hard cartridge to load for cast. The 303 or 30-06 probably would have been a better choice.

Any help appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you know I was trying to find a >50% fill, but due to the reasonably large case size, and the insanely fast twist of the M96, I don't think I can achieve it without jacketed projectiles. So if I can't get what I want from H4227 and H4198.

Is it worth giving more traditional cast powders such as

Red Dot 8-9 grains
Green Dot 8-9 grains

Has anyone had success with these?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check into Accurates 5744 powder. It might work.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AA, SR and IMR powders are not available here in Aus, unless you get import permits Frowner

We have Hs and Alliant, though the later are usually of the fast variety!