Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading mistake ?
 Login/Join

posted
I was reloading 50 rounds of 224TTH and made a mistake. When I was finished loading my buddy noticed the empty primer box which I used about 25 primers out of were MAGNUM primers.....and my load uses standard primers!!!

How much hotter are magnum primers than standards? My standard load is 47gr RL19 with winchester LRP. Should I shoot these loads? How much difference would you guess it will make in my loads?

thanks
224TTH

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with that cartridge, how close to max. is that load?

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is also known as a 22/6mm. It is a 6mm remington necked down to hold a 22 cal bullet. It is a wildcat round, but the new hornady load manual list the load I shoot, and if i remember right my load is @ 2-3 tenths under max. My load shows NO pressure sighns in my rifle.

thanks
224TTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a load of 47 grains, 2-3 tenths under max isn't very much. I don't think it equates to the difference between standard and magnum primers. To be safe and not sorry, I'd pull 'em.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not worry. The important thing is, do you know which are which? It would be nice to know so you can test accuracy. You will get two different group positions if they are mixed. I would say the .244 case is large enough to absorb the extra primer pressure.
Just look for a sticky case, then if you get one, pull the loads.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i very much doubt that you will notice a difference either on the rifle or target

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I cant tell the difference between them....there is no way to tell which one I am shooting to check grouping differences....I will also look for pressure signs when shooting...

It just bothers me because I hate not knowing those things...LOL

thanks
224TTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your load is in fact, 3 grains under max, I would shoot the loads.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends on which std. primer & which mag primer. Some std. primers seem to run hotter than some mag primers. A-SQ manual has a good read on this. I have run identrical loads in my 260ai & substituted 4 diff. primers. Vel variation showed the Fed. 210 to be hotter than RP LRmag, based on 50fps vel. gain. No free lunch when ot comes to vel. vs pressure. Small bores will show a greater change than larger bores.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to use and recommend to others the use of magnum primers for Reloader propellants RL19, RL22 and RL25.

I have had "issues" getting RL22 to burn completely in my "big" 30-06 loads with anything other than Fed 215 magnum primers
and fed 215's are SFAIK the biggest and baddest in the primer world.

Frankly I wouldn't worry much about it. with IMR4350 I'd cringe before pulling the trigger the first time, with RL19?

Shoot a couple groups, you might be pleasantly suprised.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The primers I usualy use are standard large rifle winchesters....the mistake was winchester large rifle magnum primers....primers AND boxes they come in look the same(except for the "magnum" written on box)....just took it for granted that they were what I usually use....

It is 2-3 TENTHS under max.....not grains

I really doubt that I will be suprised by the accuracy of the magnum primers....it shoots unbelievable with standards....

thanks for everyones feeling and ideas
224TTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a "Ho-Hum" load with a slow powder really "wake up" when a magnum cap is substituted.

I've seen this enough in 25+ years of reloading that
I make it part of my normal test protocol

Additionally there are a few propellants that I REFUSE to use without a magnum cap.

RL22 and H335 as specific examples.

RL19 goes either way depending on what I'm loading it in.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time Winchester did not market a LR magnum primer and recommended their standard primer for all applications.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote