Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a VERY accurate powder dispenser
 Login/Join

posted
I have a basic rcbs powder dispenser but realized it was +/- .4 grains on the bigger powders (R-22). Are there any accurate (+/- .1gr) powder disp out there for a good price?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get fairly consistent throws from my Lee Powder Dispenser with 4350 which is one of the chunkier powders that I use.

If you don't have many to load, why not weigh every charge. It's pretty easy to make small adjustments with a powder trickler and a small spoon.

In my big game rounds where I might only load 20-50 at a time, I weigh every charge. It keeps me from having a bunch of rounds loaded especially if I discover that I don't like the performance in field conditions (extreme temp swings, etc).

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need a VERY accurate powder dispenser

Well, we all do. What you have is about as good as it gets.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look at Sinclair International. They cater to BR shooters, but agree w/ MThuntr. I weigh EVERY charge for rifles and most for pistols.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman DPS 3, It's close, usually to withing .3 gr. The most consistant mechanicals that I have uses are the Lee and the Redding, the Lee being the cheapest and surprisingly the most consistant as well as long as you did everything the same. I eventually went electronic, I have the machine throw the charge about a 1/2 gr low and use a trickler and another digital scale to trickle up to the desired charge. It's what works for me so I do it.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I also use the Lee and find it very uniform,even with H4350 as does MThuntr, if I am consistent in my usage but this goes for all of them. As has been said I throw light and trickle up for all critical loads but still find a real consistency with the thrower.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Search for Harrells Precision, they make some good powder measures (you can buy direct of via Sinclar).
Note, you may suffer from a bit of "sticker shock" when you see the price.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The very expensive Harrell's is said to be the best, and the somewhat expensive Redding is similarly good, but no powder measure will get you much closer than + or - .25 gr. with course stick powders. Almost any of them will get you less than .1 gr. variation with flake or ball powders -- in fact my Redding's variation with powders like H335 and BL-C2 is virtually unmeasurable. With "short cut" stick powders the Redding does around .1 gr, which is plenty close for any type of shooting, including bench shooting (for those of us who are into shooting benches.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek....... Big Grin I shot one at a "lazered" 347.5 yards. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go, the very best.
http://www.harrellsprec.com/

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 Harrells.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Harrels and use it at the range for Benchrest shooting. I love it. I would not go this route if you are trying to use the long stick powders. Sure it will be better than the RCBS but I don't think you will get the accuracy you are hoping for. When I am at home loading for hunting calibers I use the Lyman DPS 1200 II. It weighs accurately within .1 all the time. Very quick and accurate. My opinion only.

Matt

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Prometheus

2. RCBS ChargeMaster Combo

3. Weigh each charge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three powder measures, a Lyman 55, a Redding, and a very old Bonanza. Plus the measure on my Dillion 550B.

Having tried all, I cannot prove to myself that any one of these measures is any more consistent or accurate than the others. The Lyman 55 is overly complicated. Both the Lyman and the Redding have a short reservoir. Having observed powder charge weight change with height in the Bonanza, it has a tall reservoir, I think Lyman and Redding just shortened theirs to avoid that issue.

I have a friend with a Harrell. I asked him if the Harrell was better than the RCBS he previously used. He reply was he was unable to definitely determine if the expensive Harrell threw better than his previous measures.

I like my old Bonanza. You can pour almost a pound of powder in the thing which means you can throw a lot of charges before refilling.

I have won enough highpower matches with thrown charges from my Dillion 550B, that I don’t worry that much about powder variations in the .223 or 308. I only weigh max charges for long range ammo. Because I don’t want blown primers.

My Dillion will throw 4895 within a half grain. I challenge anyone to come out to a highpower match and prove that a varience of a half grain of powder in a 308 can be seen on target out to 300 yards. I would also invite anyone to prove that a half grain difference makes a difference at 600 yards, based on score.

I am not a hard enough holder at 600 yards, (my last 600 match I only shot a 195-10X) so I might not be able to see it. But maybe someone out there can.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Quickmeasure.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
To keep peace with the wife, I had better just measure each load with my scale. Thanks for the tips guys. I will keep my eyes open at gun shows.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I have two RCBS powder measures and a Redding.

I can tell (and measure) the difference between the two brands with the Redding winning hands down.

Stick powders... you're still gonna cut powder, I still weigh every stick powder charge, period.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The solution to your problem is to use only ball powders. Most measures are very compatible with them. When I am loading large numbers of cartridges, you can bet I'm using some sort of ball powder. If I am loading a stick powder, it is for a larger calibre and I will be only loading a few --say 20 or so-- and I can dump and trickle those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
Both the Lyman and the Redding have a short reservoir. Having observed powder charge weight change with height in the Bonanza, it has a tall reservoir. I think Lyman and Redding just shortened theirs to avoid that issue.

Redding has optional reservoirs that have more capacity. The internal baffle compensates for volume (height) variation.

Sinclair has modifications for several powder measures that allow greater storage capacity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most all of the well made measures deliver similar powder charges. Well made here means made with close tolerances.
Long grain stick powders can not be delivered more accurately with one good measure vs another. Conversely, these same good measure deliver very accurate charges of Ball powder.
Very importantly, the operator's technique in throwing powder charges means a whole lot in getting charges that are close to each other.
Point here being, you can buy the most expensive, well made measure, and get bad results with 4831, and 4350 powder.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that I have a Harrell's Culver Powder measure that I use regularly for most all of my loading. It does not throw the long grain powder consistently, so I thro lite, and trickle up.
If I was going to go full auto, I'd get an RCBS Chargemaster 1500. I bought one for my oldest son who shoots High Power Rifle Competetively and loads a bunch of bullets. He likes it, and every one else who have written about those measures has good words to say about them.
Been collecting old Lyman 55 measures just for kicks, and I use one occasionally. They are not in the same league with Harrell's, Neil Jones, and Les Bruno measures. I had a Neil Jones Powder Measure that disappeared during some long ago divorce of mine.. Big Grin Shit happens...

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Among the manually operated measures, I prefer the Neil Jones, which is bigger and heavier than some of the Harrell's Models...it is also more expensive. It and the Les Bruno (Phoenix, Arizona) clones are at least as good, maybe better, than the Harrell's in my experience.

Dedicated Systems used to make a scale-controlled electronic powder dispenser about 10 or so years ago, but they have been out of business a long time. I have one of those too, and it will reliably throw almost every charge to within .05 grain (1/20th grain). Once set, mine virtually never throws a charge more than .1 grain off of the desired amount.

A nice feature is that if a charge IS more than 0.1 grain off, an alarm is posted and the dispenser stops until a clear/re-set button is punched. When that happens, I dump that charge back in the measure's hopper and have the machine throw another one.

Another feature I like is that after each charge is dispensed into the powder pan, it is weighed to within 1/20th grain and the true weight shows on the screen. That way, a person can set his own standard "tolerance" for a run such as:

....accept only those charges dead on (no variation large enough to show as even 1/20th grain off, which is triggered at the .025 grain level),

...or 1/20th grain off,

or 1 & 1/2 20ths of a grain off,

...or a full 1/10th grain off.

To work right, the dispenser does have to be "trained" for each different powder, but it will store that training info for up to 10 different powders, each recallable at will. The training is done automatically by the machine, after pressing about three buttons to direct the start of a training session for a new powder.

A small manufacturing company, Dedicated Systems was an "iffy", under-capitalized outfit located in Silicon Valley (San Jose, California) out near the Almaden IBM research facility, and only was in operation for a year or so. Their operating instructions were about ten 8x10 pages long, and a couple of the instructions were just plain WRONG.

To boot, some of their rigs never did seem to work quite right, and delivery to the buyers was a hit or miss thing. I finally got mine after they quit answering either their mail or phones, by sending two Sheriff's Deputies and the Clerk of the California Superior Court out to pay them a "visit" on my behalf.

None-the-less, if you ever run across one for less than $150, I'd recommend you buy it IF it has the two calibration weights with it. (The dispensers sold new for about $320, more than 10 years ago.) I will print and mail a free copy of the operating instructions to anyone who sends me the postage for them.

Handled correctly, they are accurate to 1/20th grain with ANY smokeless powder. (One does NOT use black powder in an electronic scale/dispenser!!)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, What a novel idea: shooting benches. I don't suppose you could eat them but what about mounting? Boone & Crocket points?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will see the old Lyman 55 measures with the culver insert, on Ebay at times asbout $150 to $200 they are in class of new Harrells in my opinion,

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I just my lyman electronic it dispenses each charge exactly

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
+1

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I to use the lee powder dispenser. It seams to be pretty accurate on most of the powders that I use. From my experience with shotshell some powders measure better than others. Wether you are using a grain powder which seams to do better than the flake powders. My advice would be to get a good digital scale to make your loads the most consistant and accurate.

If a word is spelled wrong its not my fault its the computer's

Posts: 25 | Location: Southern Ohio | Registered: 15 December 2009Reply With Quote