Find
Notify
Tools

Mag primers with Lilgun 45C loads??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Way back when, I got a bullet stuck in my 45 Colt barrel because of using standard primers+no crimp with 296. They were doing all kinds of weird things for the 3 or 4 rounds I fired until there was a strange noise and no hole in the target. I got home and pulled the bullets on the rest and found nothing wrong with the loads, the can of 296 still sitting on the bench. Once I fixed it, they were very accurate, but still kinda slow.
Just today I bought a pound of Lil'Gun for loading in my new 45C Contender carbine barrel and I don't want a repeat performance. Mag. primers or not? I'm crimping regardless for consistancy.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of nighthunter1974
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the .45lc but if it helps I use mag primers in my .357mag with the LiLgun powder,works great.
Its not the same but I hope it helps!
(158gr xtp / 18gr LiLgun & cci mag primer)

Posts: 22 | Location: north tx. | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, use mag promers with Lil'Gun loads. The only slow magnum type pistol powder (i.e. H-110, Win 296, 4227, etc) that I have seen perform correctly with standard primers is 2400.

Good Luck,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
CCI-300's work just fine for me...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
To me it's a better safe than sorry thing, use the mag promer w/ slow powders.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks for the answers. I'm gonna go load some right now.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote