New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing Issue/Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Returned from the range today, gave my brass, 270 and 7mm-08 a shot of one shot and dabbed the necks into some mica, and proceeded to resize.

The upstroke was uneventful but the down stroke seem to offer extreme resistance for both sets of dies..

Odd.
Any ideas...

Posts: 69 | Location: vacaville,ca | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
You need more lube.

If the difficulty on the down stroke come right at the beginning, it's because there isn't enough lube on the body of the case. If the resistance comes when the neck is being pulled over the expander ball, it's because there isn't enough lube in the necks of the case; I suspect your problem is the latter since plain old mica probably wouldn't provide sufficient lubrication.

The way I use One Shot is to stand all the cases in a box with the mouths up and give them a good coating of One shot both in the mouths of the cases and on the outside as well.

I usually don't use One Shot preferring to use Imperial Sizing Wax.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't say if you cleaned them before sizing. Could the powder residue on the outside of the neck be causing the stiff pull-out? In my opinion, One-Shot is crap. If it's the stuff put out by Hornady, it's crap. I tried it once. Sprayed as per directions and ran it up into the die. Barely got it out. Took it back and went back to my tried-and-true use of cheap, unflavored Walmart cooking spray. It's cheap, available-- and it works. Just spray lightly, resize and wash off with great gusto and agitation in hot, soapy water. Then rinse copiously in warm water. I do this and get mucho crap out of the cases. The water never fails to turn a dark gray. Because the primers are popped, the cases drain quickly. If I am in a hurry, I fry them in a thin-bottom stainless skillet on a low flame (I use gas) for as long as it takes to make the poppin' and spittin' stop. They are then fairly hot, so I just let 'em cool for about ten minutes and they are ready to go to the next step in the reloadin' process. If I am not in a hurry (it's late and time to go to bed), I put 'em in my food dehydrator on LOW and let 'em dry out overnight in that. Either way works fine...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Grumpy figured it out...Sounds logically and ok I'll dump the one shot...

Thanks..

quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
You need more lube.

If the difficulty on the down stroke come right at the beginning, it's because there isn't enough lube on the body of the case. If the resistance comes when the neck is being pulled over the expander ball, it's because there isn't enough lube in the necks of the case; I suspect your problem is the latter since plain old mica probably wouldn't provide sufficient lubrication.

The way I use One Shot is to stand all the cases in a box with the mouths up and give them a good coating of One shot both in the mouths of the cases and on the outside as well.

I usually don't use One Shot preferring to use Imperial Sizing Wax.

Posts: 69 | Location: vacaville,ca | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Spray lubes must dry before sizing

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
shockerYou heard it here BARDAHL! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote