THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anyone know where to get info on the 7mm ultra mag on the net?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know where to get info on the 7mm ultra mag on the net?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know where to get info on the 7mm ultra mag on the net.

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon's web site has loads, Remington's web site has a short article about hunting with the 7mm RUM.

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it might have been my gun but... I had the 7mm ultra mag in the rem 700 bdl stainless and I couldn't get it to shoot anything. I have talk to several other people that have got them and they didn't have much luck with it either.

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Matt>
posted
I have one in the sendero model.The only load so far that really shoots well a friend worked up for me. 91 gr. Reloader 25, Fed 215m primer,
160gr. Nosler Partition,OAL 3.650, aprox 3350 fps. 1/4"@100yd.I tryed several bullets,Nosler 140gr BT, Swift 150gr.This so far is the best.

Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a 7mm ultramag and two 7mmstw's.Velocity differences are only about 50 to 75fps difference and the stw's have proven to be less finicky about loads.Given the choice I would go for the 7mm stw as it is about as much capacity as the 7mm bore can use.I have two 300 ultra's which seem to perform much better as the large case seems better suited to the larger bore.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, interesting comments as I really like the good old 7mm Rem mag and am very interested in the STW and the RUM as higher velocity 7mm's. I looked at that big RUM case and wondered how it would do... Suppose though that with enough time, money and effort about any cartridge can be made to shoot pretty well. Have to wonder what those big cases could do with a match grade 28 - 30 inch barrel. Still thinking, and of course, can't really find anything wrong with my 7mm Rem mag anyway!

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M700-I used to use a 7mm mag myself but since trying the stw I had another one built and for the past dozen years have been very happy with them.I now use the 300 ultra for moose and elk but the stw is still my deer,sheep and pronghorn cartridge.The 7mm ultra is now my range practise gun as I never could get it to shoot as well as my stw's.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After much trial and error with the 150 gr Sciroccos and my 7RUM, THE load I'v come up with is-150 gr Scirocco*93 gr H1000*Federal 215 primer.Average is 3324fps.SD is 7.5.Zero'ed at 400 yds its 11 low at 500 and never rises above 7.I agree its picky to load for but I would'nt trade it for ...almost anything.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
JRS. What accuracy are you getting?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
JRS. What accuracy are you getting?

Slightly under an inch(@ 100 yds)with this load,a grain up or down it opens up considerably.
Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to wonder what those big cases could do with a match grade 28 - 30 inch barrel

M700,theres a fellow at the campfire has a 7 RUM,built on a Ruger # 1 with a 29 1/2 Pac-Nor bbl.He gets an average of 3840fps with a 140 gr BT and told me he actually did get it up higher than that, but extraction was slightly sticky.Temp was 90-100 degrees when he was testing.
Jeff