THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppes or shooters choice OR MONTANA X-TREME?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those of you who have used both shooter's choice and hoppes #9, which works best on CARBON FOULING in your opinion. How does Montana extreme work in your opinions?

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On powder fouling it really is a flip of the coin as they both do well. For copper I have found nothing close to Wipe Out. It works remakably well with almost no effort. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks D. I will keep wipe out in mind since I hate the ammonia smell of CR10.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Next time you go to a gun show and somebody is selling that WWII surplus bore solvent get some. There's two types one looks creamy and the other is an awful looking brown, foul smelling stuff. Both will remove carbon.
I use either on my handguns for removing the carbon build up from long strings of fire. My suggestion is to put the solvent in the barrel or on buildup while the firearm is warm/hot.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Shooter's Choice foam. Trouble is, I cant find it around very often.

Montana Extreme is an excellent product as well. The high ammonia content helps cut the copper too. I love CR10!! Best copper solvent around, IMO..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have found Shooter's Choice to be a better overall cleaning solvent than Hoppe's. But NONE of the new ones give that "gun-room" smell you get from Hoppe's! I keep a bottle of Hoppe's on hand at all times for this reason alone!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
eldeguello
You know my last ex wife may have departed the marriage because I told her that if women want to be irristable get perfumes that smell like Hoppes or fresh ground coffee.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Shooter's Choice (mixed in a 3 to 1 ratio with Kroil) is quite a bit better than Hoppes. But, as has been mentioned, nothing beats the aroma of Hoppes.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I think Shooter's Choice (mixed in a 3 to 1 ratio with Kroil) is quite a bit better than Hoppes.

I'm curious... why are you adding Kroil?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I use both the Shooters Choice and the great smelling Hoppes. However, most of the carbon removal is done with inexpensive carburator and fuel injector cleaner I get at the .99 cent store.It seems to get out the black stuff as well as anything else I've tried and at 1/4 the price.
roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartshe,

I posted this same topic on longrangehunting.com and several guys there said to use GM top engine cleaner or the cheaper carborator cleaner. Others say the new bor tech eliminator is outstanding stuff also, but not as easy to find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to order some stuff from sinclairs today, and since someone there said it worked best for them I purchased a bottle of montana x-treme also. Any comments on its ability to remove both carbon and copper?

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

I have been using Montana X-Treme for about 2 years. All I can say is - It works faster than Sweets or CR-10, is a little easier to use, and is safe for long term soaking - I have left it in the bore for up to 3 hours.

It works just like the rest of them on powder fouling. However, by being able to soak longer than Sweets or CR-10, X-Treme probably does a better job at wetting and removing powder fouling.

I am a big proponent for using aggressive solvents and limiting the mechanical scrubbing in a bore. X-Treme delivers in spades.

Shilen - To avoid spills, I push a bore mop or a nylon brush all the way down the bore and apply the solvent from a small solvent bottle from the muzzle. Any drips occur away from the stock and action. Also, use in a well-ventilated room.

Neutralize and flush the bore well after solvent use. I literally flood the bore with Kroil and push out the runoff with several clean patches. Always finish with a good quality gun oil for stroage.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll submit a vote for the GM Top for the carbon---great stuff. Also, I have to give a vote for Butches Bore Shine---Works well and doesn't have as strong an odor as Montana Extreme. ME does make about the stiffest and best nylon brushes available.
If shooting soon after cleaning, try some lockease in the bore. Otherwise, a light oil for storage.

Dennis

Posts: 13 | Location: SW of Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
She should have believed you.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
In truth hot soapy water is the best carbon cleaner in the modern world with a scalding hot water flush...Carbon cleaner is very good stuff..But about any gun cleaning product will clean carbon well enough, now copper wash is a whole nuther ball game....

For copper fouling I like Wipe Out hands down, followed by CR-10...

It you really want to get down and dirty then mix a quart jar with 25% commercial amonia, add one cup of Hydrogen perxiode and toss a copper jacket or penny in the goop...It's called "Blue Goop" by the old time benchresters and one or two applications get the stuff out..Use it outside and don't leave it in the bore more than 20 or 30 minutes max, and 15 is a good idea..When done mop dry with a lot of patches and oil profusly as the bore will be squeeky clean and subject to rust...

the penny is for color (turns the liquid blue) and makes it readily identifiable, nothing else..thus the name Blue Goop.

Getting a gun squeeky clean is not necessary and most over clean a bore, a couple of patches of CR-10, followed by a couple of dry patches will restore accuracy for another 20 to 100 shots...Remember you have to foul the bore before you shoot any clean rifle for accuracy, that should tell you something.....more guns are ruined by cleaning than by shooting...speaks well for the bore snakes!! that do a good enough job on thier own with a yearly good clean for storage.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree that most people overclean their rifles. My 300WM and 22-250 are big fans of cleaning every 20 rounds though whereas my 270 could care less.

The claim to montana x-treme is that the ammonia solution is oil soluble not water soluble, and because of this the ammonia has no ill effect on stainless steel where as water soluble ammonia solutions can have a harmful effect on SS. Truthfully, I don't know, but I will use it every so often instead of CR10 if that is the claim they make.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorites were Wipe-out and Barnes CR10 until I tried
Coppermelt. If you follow their directions to the letter,
it will clean faster and better than anything I have tried.

www.coppermelt.com

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote