New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't bother with Case Prep Trio
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
...bought a Hornady Case Prep Trio from Amazon. It arrived yesterday. I settled on this unit because I wanted something fairly small, made in the US, and suitable for low volume case care. I was disappointed and will be returning it. Fit and finish are pretty poor and the spindles on which the attachments fit are loose and wobble quite a bit. Not worth the $100 I paid. Although I like the Lyman Case Prep Center, it's a bit large, so I think I'll go for the RCBS Trim Mate. Probably should have gone that route in the first place!

Posts: 26 | Location: UPSTATE New York | Registered: 03 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have narrowed my choice down to the Lyman and the RCBS based upon your report. Thanks

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Cordless drills work better anyway.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
A cordless drill only does one thing at a time. I've owned the RCBS Trim Mate since the first year it was offered. I have no complaints. The ChargeMaster Combo is a different story, I went back to the balance beam scales and the uniflow 2 years ago.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I curious about how the military crimp removal feature works. Is this the primer pocket? Seems too easy for swagging the primer pocket. The product description on Midway's site says "military crimp removal".

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the info. I am thinking of getting something like this. I have concluded that for removing primer pocket crimps swageing is prefered to reaming if you have a swager.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:......The ChargeMaster Combo is a different story, I went back to the balance beam scales and the uniflow 2 years ago.

Man you killing yourself with that old balance beam scale. You really should get an electronic scale. An electronic scale is the neatest thing since rifling. Well, maybe not that good but an electronic scale is a joy compared to a balance beam.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Get the RCBS cutter head that trims and inside/outside deburs as it trims to length

Love mine and will be getting a couple more

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, That sound good, is it a hand held/operated tool.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
You really should get an electronic scale

quote:
You really should get an electronic scale

The scale is the problem on the ChargeMaster, it died on me. Five years ago the dispenser died but was replaced under warranty. I haven't thrown it away, it's in the box and on the top shelf. I just haven't felt like spending the money on a new one yet. I've owned balance beam scales for over 40 years and they haven't died on me once in all those years. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
Ted, That sound good, is it a hand held/operated tool.jc

It's a caliber specific cutter head that replaces the cutter on most trimmers

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
This is what Ted is talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted /MickinColo. Thanks for that.I need to get one of those.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I picked one up in .223 last year to process brass for my wife's AR 15

It eliminated the extra steps of inside/outside deburring. With thousands of cases to process thay saved hours of bench time and quickly convinced me to buy one in .308

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Thanks MikeyJ. Been looking at a case prep unit for a while, ordered the Lyman unit from my LGS today.

As for the Chargemaster I have had one for 6 years without issue. For the high volume stuff I use the Hordady LNL AP, but use the Chargemaster to check weights. Still use it for all the low volume stuff on an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. And yes, I use a balance beam to verify the Charge Master with any new loads.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Hornady units where the trimmer is like a drill press with the camfer and debur and primer pocket cleaners, saves big time on the hands discomfort. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I still like my Little Crow WFT Fits on my drill and cranks out the brass. Granted it does only one operation, trim, but my champering is done on my drill as well.
My only regret is that they didn't make the WFT2 with interchangeable trim chambers when I started buying mine.

When I reload my rifle rounds I use my Charge Master and Beam scale. I think it's great!
I feel it speeds up the operation and is consistently accurate!

If I were to buy trickler today, I'd buy an Omega Powder Trickler.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Received my Lyman Case Prep Xpress today. The unit is very heavy, runs quiet, and does an excellent job removing the military crimp. It has 5 stations turning different tools, all of which are solid and don't move other than rotate.

Thought I'd share. tu2

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote