New
Find
Notify
Tools

H-4895 powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used this powder for reloading 45-70? I see in my Lyman Reloading Handbook 46 th Edition that a max load of 59 gr with a 400 gr bullet has a pressure of only 27,200 CUP. That seems low for a 400 gr bullet at 1900 fps. Is this powder similar to IMR-4895?

Thanks

Posts: 263 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Yep, the 4895's are pretty much the same. If you're close to max with one of them and anticipate using the other, prudence dictates backing off a grain or two, then work from there.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
According to my burn rate chart, IMR-4895 and
H-4895 reside next to each other so, their burn rates should be virtually identical. However, use good judgement and begin testing with the "start" load data.

posted Hide Post
I have had good results with H4895 in my Browning Traditional Hunter using between 46 and 50 grains and magnum primers with 300 or 405 grain jacketed bullets. These are low pressure loads, but the recoil is hefty enough with the curved steel buttplate. I think this powder is a little on the slow side for this case but I have plenty on hand for my 7.62 and 5.56 service rifle loads.

Posts: 14 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the lots I've used, IMR-4895 and H-4895 are closer in performance than nearly any other pair of like-numbered powders. Treat them as you would the same powder from different lots and reduce a bit when changing from one to another until the burning rate of the new lot is established.

I don't load 45-70, but 4895 has a reputation for consistent performance in bulky cases at low pressures. I would say it's a good bet for the application in question.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote