New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 fireball
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
does any one have a hard time seating the bullet with out bending the necks is there a trick our tool to hold the bullet.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
To answer your question - I am not aware of any trick or tool.

I reload 17 Fireball with 30 gr. Berger flat base. They are a tremendous pain in the butt to balance on the case mouth, but I have never bent a neck. If they didn't shoot so well I would probably be experimenting with some of the boattail options. The only suggestion I would make is that they will balance on the mouth much easier if your case mouth (and reloading press) is level. Good luck.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks what boattail bullets thats what i have been looking for

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you chamfer the inside of the neck? What do you mean hold the bullet? Rifle rounds are a little different than handgun rounds as the neck is not flared and will usually not hold a bullet by itself. You must hold the bullet with your fingers until it enters the base of the die. Once in the die it should line up and seat without issues.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
Did you chamfer the inside of the neck?

You must hold the bullet with your fingers until it enters the base of the die.

If you use a VLD tool and take a good chamfer of the bullet should sit by itself. The 20 isn't much larger and I have no difficulty is sitting FB bullets in the mouth of the case for seating. Have to say that I use Wilson dies with an arbour press so that might make things a bit easier.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes i chamfer the inside of the neck and holding the bullet until it enters the base works with all my other rifle not with the 17 fireball. with the 17 you balance the bullet it is like building a cardhouse with each bullet i just was looking for something faster. the gun shoots great and it is fun to see the the bullet hit but it is very slow to reload for.