Find
Notify
Tools

Partitions...how accurate are they?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
Are of any you getting consistent sub moa or half moa groups from partitions? if so. would you share them? interested in the 7mm rem mag but would like to hear how accurate they are for you

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I don't get great groups with any partitions I've shot....but I dont load them to punch sub MOA holes.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best group I ever shot with a 270 was with Nosler Partitions. 150 grain at just over 300 fps. 3 shots, 1/4" at 100 yards. That load averages about 1 1/8" for many groups in that rifle. Fact is (even for pronghorn) a rifle that averages under 1 1/2" at 100 yards will do the job. Better than that is gravy and bragging rights (both of which ARE nice).

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with using Partitions has been reloading them in the fallowing three rifles/calibers:

<>.338WM/M700 BDL Stainless Steel Synthetic
<>.7mmSTW/116SF/WW
<>.300WM/M77 Stainless Steel Laminated

Or should I say reloading all the above with Nosler Partition SECONDS, yes thats seconds that I buy directly from Nosler.

My results with all three above rifles & calibers has been nothing short of outstanding. All will shoot N/P seconds at or below MOA and that is the no BS truth. I have lots and lots of N/Ps in all the above and dont plan on using anything else any time soon.

You can not kill any animal any deader than dead. And my N/Ps have always killed what ever I shot grave yard dead.

Call Nosler and buy some partition seconds, they are IMHO the best buy in premium bullets out there. You can not possably know how your rifle will shoot them unless you try them, and that is the simple plane truth.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get them to work well in my 7 Mag (>1.5 MOA) but my 375 H&H loves the 260 grainers.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a new reloader I am getting GREAT results working up a load with 180gr Partitions in my 30-06...

[.290"] 3-shot groups @ 100 yds this past week...

I don't need BR accuracy but it was nice to see my hunting rig eating it up after some load development...

Good Luck!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have had excellent results with the 180gr 30 caliber partitions. I find that BT's are slightly more accurate; however, partitions are ver accurate. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot Partitions in several 30-06's and have had very good accuracy in general. My CZ 9.3X62 is simply amazing with 286 Partitions and RL15; it averages .60" with the smallest group .39" .

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For most of my rifles I've always found bullets that group better than Nosler Partitions.

That being said I have alway been able to come up with a load that I am comfortable hunting with in any of my rifles.

I've had great results with the 125 grains in 6.5X55 and 200 grain in 30_06.

If you want groups on paper shoot Ballistic Tips or Sierras. If you want to kill animals shoot Partitions. If you want both, try Accubonds.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 165 grain Partitions in my .30/06 Sprg. and 85 grain Partitions in my .243 Winchester. I've never has an issue with Nosler Partitions from both accuracy and terminal performance aspect.

The loads I've developed with both cartridges will consistantly group three bullets into one ragged hole at 100 meters; and that at pretty much the upper edge of the envelope, too.

Picked up a box of REALLY old Nosler Partition Protected Point .308" 180 grainers that had been sitting on dealers shelf for years. Uncanny accuracy & perfomance outa that box - for sure; wish I coulda bought a life-time supply of that one production run of those bullets.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drive tacks all day long (1/2") with my old Tikka M-65. I shoot the 160 gr Partition over 63 grains of IMR-4350 and a Fed. LRM primer, Win. case. ****This load will prolly be too hot for most 7mm Rem mag.
This is safe in my rifle as it has a bit of freebore. Clips along at 2900 fps.
I also have a Tikka M-55 in 243 Win that will match the 7mm shooting 95 gr partitions.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Ditto Gerry; above are groups that I got with 180 gr Partitions Protected Point at 200 meters with my Tikka 695 300 WM. Since I'm not a marksman, that's a very good result. PP gave me the best accuracy among the Partitions.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey PATRIOT76, I had a Lot of 140gr Partitions that shot very small 2-shot groups in my 7mmRemMag. I used R-P Cases, Fed-215 Primers and H1000.

The last time I shot that Load on paper was about 16-18 years ago and the 2nd shots were cutting into the first Bullet Hole. Those Partitions actually shot better in my rifle than Ballistic Tips or MatchKings. And they did right fine on Deer. Wink

Once I used them up I began using the 145gr Speer Hot-Cor and it has done fine on Deer too. But nothing has been as accurate as that specific Lot of Partitions.

Normally speaking though, you should be able to get Partitions shooting right under 1" (in most any Caliber) if you find a specific Powder and Seating Depth that the specific Lot likes. It just takes a bit of Trial and Error to sort through the possibilities.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Partitions shoot very well in three rifles I have. The rifles are a 257 Roberts with 100 grain Part's, a 7x57 with 140's, and a 7mm Mag with 150's. All shoot sub .5, or better.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like any bullet, some rifles like them better than others. Overall, I have found Partitions to average fully as accurate as any hunting bullet, and superior to many.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ned:
For most of my rifles I've always found bullets that group better than Nosler Partitions.

That being said I have alway been able to come up with a load that I am comfortable hunting with in any of my rifles.

If you want groups on paper shoot Ballistic Tips or Sierras. If you want to kill animals shoot Partitions. If you want both, try Accubonds.

I agree with ned. I used Partitions in a 270 and could never get any outstanding groups with it, they would run 1.5-2.5" for five shots. Ballistic Tips were another story with their accuracy and Accubonds do seem to be the best of both of these worlds.

We've shot a lot of deer and elk with the Ballistic tips at 180g in a 300WinMag with absolute great performance. Almost all of those shots were at extended ranges where I think, the BT do perform and mushroom better.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Results on paper are nice, but results on game are far more important.

Deer tend to be unimpressed by a 1/2" difference in group size.

If ANYTHING out there is consistantly superior ON GAME to the Nosler Partition I'd like to hear about it.

Frankly I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to dig targets and photo them transfer them then photo bucket them post WHAT A PAIN
. !.

They work very well in all 3 of my 7 RM's

My 3000L Mauser loves 160 group under MOA Tikka is 1-1.75" I'm still working loads for it though .
Talk about a difference the Tikka will group .625" with 175" Sierra's Go figure that !.

My A Bolt doesn't like ME! , because only paper punching projectiles are accurate in it !, So it never sees the field work !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Just under MOA 150gn Partitions in a 270/08.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not trying to be a smart ass, but I do not buy partitions to punch paper. I've probably killed a hundred deer and hogs with partitions in 6mm, 25 cal, 270, 7mm, 30 cal and 338 cal. All would group MOA at the ranges I shoot. At 200 yds or less that is all I need to kill.

When I first started reloading I loaded ballistic tips. Too frangible and too much meat damage. Partitions while not being the "end all be all" bullet, usually give complete penetration and a big enough entry/exit hole to give a good enough blood trail to follow if your animal is not DRT. If you need better accuracy,and want to stick with nosler, try the accubonds. Barnes triple shocks are another good choice for accuracy and penetration. Sierras are tpically very accurate but they are a non premium bullet. I like sierras and they usually are very effective but many times the bullets don't pass through. I have a winchester supergrade in 300 wsm. I have made 26 one shot kills at ranges from 100 to 240 yds using 150 gr sierra spitzers on turkey, hogs and deer. All have been DRT. No pass throughs, except the turkeys, but I have not had to track one animal.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load 140gr Partitions in my 7mag. IMR4350 was my powder. A moderate load @ 3150fps consistantly shot between 9/16 and 3/4" groups with the old BDL. I agree with the post above, though. It really doesn't need to be a 1/2moa load.

Isaiah 41:10

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 180 gr. Partitions from Combined Technology, sometimes (I believe) labelled Fail Safe, have been extremely accurate in my 300WM. They seem to be moly coated, and are no longer made, I don't believe. I have a supply of the 150 gr. moly coated Partitions which I haven't really tried. The regular Partitions are pretty accurate, sub MOA, but take a different load.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used partitions for many years and they are as accurate as any bullets that I have used. If I had a gun that would not shoot partitions then I would dump it pronto. The 200 gr. partition shoots inch groups in my O6 and in my 300 H&H. My .338 dotes on 210s and 250s.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
After reading some of the comments on the Partitions it reminded me of an experience I had with them in a .270.

I had crept up to around 175-200 yards from a small to average 4x4 mulie buck with a .270 load with 130g Partitions at around 3075fps. Accruacy had been in the 1.5" range with this gun and load and seemed to be like it wasn't going to get any better. Slipped the rifle over a large rock that hid us and used it as a rest, should be no problem. At the first shot I saw the rocks and dust fly on the other side of the buck and thought that I had missed, meanwhile the buck does a 180 and stands there. I racked in another round and fired away with the same result only this time the buck headed down into a very small valley about 50 yards away with steep sides. My buddy and I ran down there and had enough elevation that he could not get out without us seeing him. I went in get him and he came running out and I shot again at him at about 25 yards and then my buddy shot him with a 250 savage that put him down.

Closier inspection showed a group the size of about a 6-7" plate with three holes in it from various sides right behind the should about 1/2 way up and then another hole about 8 inches above my group and back a little more. The conclusion that we reached was that the partitions were not opening up at all and were pencilling through him and the 250 Savage at about 75 yards finished him off.

I lost some enthusiasm for the partitions and never again used them in that rifle. Probably that load and rifle would have been a better combo for shooting bigger and heavey built animals.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any trouble getting NPTs to group slightly less than MOA in quality rifles. That said some of those rifles would shoot 1/2MOA with bullets such as MKs and NBTs. I think they are great bullets for hunting, but they are no match grade bullet by any means. If you have to have itty bitty groups with your hunting bullets, go with a NAB or TSX.

For game out to 400, it doesn't really matter as anything MOA will do the trick.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted Hide Post
NP's shoot as good as I can. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big Nosler fan. but in my 264, 125gr Partitions shoot from 1/2 to 3/4" at 3300fps.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't kill paper with them , only to sight in when a hunting trip is on the wing .
I use Sierra's Hornady's as well as others to punch paper .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've run a lot of Partitions, and it's the bullet I almost always use when it's time to go hunting--243, 257, 284, lots of 270's, 06, 06AI, 35Whelen.......

I have gone back to 5 shot groups to "evaluate" my loads, just my personal preference--I think it is a tad more "honest".

It's not unreasonable to expect around one inch groups with Partitions.

I see what my rilfe can do with Ballistic Tips (practically a target quality bullet), and I can expect to see a little bit larger groups from the Partitions (say 20% larger)

If I can get something close to 3/4 inch groups with BT's, than I can generally expect to see something around an inch with Partitions.

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i love posts that attribute accuracy to a projectile.
how accurate are they?
compared to what?
shot from what?
shot by who?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy's son took a very nice Muley at 473 yards (lasered) with a partition from a 7mm Remmy. Impressive.

In other calibers they have been accurate enough for me to use them as standard hunting fodder. WHile not a match bullet it is hard to beat the terminal performance of a Nosler Partition.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
how accurate are they?
compared to what?
shot from what?
shot by who?

Are you implying that there is no difference in the accuracy of different projectiles? If so, why would benchrest shooters waste extra money on match-grade bullets?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
how accurate are they?
compared to what?
shot from what?
shot by who?

Are you implying that there is no difference in the accuracy of different projectiles? If so, why would benchrest shooters waste extra money on match-grade bullets?

no im saying that there are a multitude of factors higher on the list than the projectile when it comes to accuracy.
how do you judge one bullet being more accurate than the other?
impossible given the amount of factory that effect a shot.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any suggested loads for NP in .243?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
For me, the Nosler Partitons I substituted for the same-weight Sierra PSPBT's I used in load development all shot about as well as the Sierras did!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
no im saying that there are a multitude of factors higher on the list than the projectile when it comes to accuracy.

Simple. Everything else being equal. Same rifle, same brass, same powder, same shooter. The only thing that may change is seating depth.

Obviously some barrels may prefer one brand/style/weight of bullet over the other......

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Any suggested loads for NP in .243?

43-44 gr H4831 with 100 gr Partition is turning about 3000fps out of a 22 inch bbl for me.

Casey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My brother shoots Federal Premium 160gr Noslers in his 7mmRM Sako. We have killed a slew of African animals from Mt Reed Buck (small deer size) to Zebra (small horse size), most with one shot. Accuracy isn't an issue with this bullet. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ned:

Well said!!!

For I've heard it said that for punching paper and accuracy Partitions aren't the GREATEST, but for HUNTING ammo accuracy and terminal performance they are one of the best!!! banana

Good Luck!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alpinecrick:
quote:

Everything else being equal. Same rifle, same brass, same powder, same shooter. The only thing that may change is seating depth.

Obviously some barrels may prefer one brand/style/weight of bullet over the other......

Casey

your question is still a exercise in futility.
No two days are going to be the same to conduct the test. relative humidity, temp, wind direction wind speed, attitude of the shooter, heartrate ect ect ect.
I suppose if you loaded rounds on a scientific basis, shot by a universal reciver in a zero humidy chamber at 70 degrees. your powder came from the same can, your matchgrade primers from the same sleeve. your brass weighed and micked and loaded to an identical OAL then what are you going to do? shoot from a spotless BBL?