New
Find
Notify
Tools

VVN powder???
 Login/Join

<PrimeTime>
posted
What is VVN? I see that many of the tests on this site are with VVN. What does that stand for and is it a better powder than Hodgdon's?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
VVN is the common abreviation for VihtaVuori OY powders that are manufactured in Sweden. They are high quality powders hat have become more popular here in the states, especially with the target shooters. I don`t presonally think any of the manufactures powders are "better" than the others. All make good powders some just work better in some applications then others. The only way to tell if one is better than another for you is to compare them in your rifle. Remember what works in one gun doesn`t always work as well in another.

[This message has been edited by Ol` Joe (edited 08-14-2001).]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
One point of order: VV is a Finnish company. Powder quality is excellent, as demonstrated by the near religious following their N133 number has among the PPC benchrest crowd. Is it better than Hodgdon? Maybe. Maybe not. Those same benchresters sure burn a lot of H322.

The most interesting VV powders are the double based 500 series. Supposed to / and actually do get you another 100 fps or so out of most chamberings. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I've loaded 160N in 30-06 with very good results.

I loaded some 280s at max and got high pressure indications.

There have been some articles in the magazines lately about VihtaVouri, and there seems to be agreement that it works best at the high end of the tables. However, one needs to exercise caution and work up slowly.

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
DUTCH, I stand corrected. Don`t know where my head was

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<PrimeTime>
posted
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think i will get some and try it out.