THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difficulty closing a neck sized cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi All,

I have neck resized once fired factory loaded Winchester cases in by BRNO .270W. I do have more difficulty closing the bolt on the final cam. Even on an empty case so it's not the seating depth. It’s not that I have to stand on it to close, just a little more effort. Is this a problem, should I shoot the loads and see what they do? Could it be a concentricity issue?

Thanks for your advice in advance!
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johanv:
It’s not that I have to stand on it to close, just a little more effort.

It is quite normal for neck sized brass to chamber with a bit more effort. You sized the neck, but the body of the case has not been sized. Depending on how much the brass contracted after firing, this makes for a pretty tight fit in the chamber. The effect will vary from brass type to brass type and from gun to gun. Eventually, you'll have to FL resize to be able to chamber the brass.

Some rifles shoot well with tight fitting brass, others less so. You'll have to test whether your rifle prefers NS or FL sized brass. 99% of my reloading is done with "partial FL sizing" these days. I find this a nice compromise between (comparatively) easy chambering and long case life.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do the fired but UNSIZED cases re-enter the chamber without resistance? Yes? Well, then you are obviously doing something in the loading process to swell some part of the case.

If you are attempting to neck size with a "conventional" die, then you may be either swelling the shoulder in the sizing process or pulling the shoulder forward as the expander ball is pulled through the (unlubricated?) neck. In either event, it might (or might not) be improper lubrication which is causing your difficulties.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Do the fired but UNSIZED cases re-enter the chamber without resistance? Yes? Well, then you are obviously doing something in the loading process to swell some part of the case.

Johan mentioned explicitley that also his unsized brass is giving the same resistance as the newly loaded ammo.

If you are attempting to neck size with a "conventional" die, then you may be either swelling the shoulder in the sizing process...

very unlikely, unless the cases are work hardend severly.

.... or pulling the shoulder forward as the expander ball is pulled through the (unlubricated?) neck. In either event, it might (or might not) be improper lubrication which is causing your difficulties.

mho desrcribed the situation as it most probably is.
Especially if the load is rather hot, the brass may swell to an extent, where it becomes hard to rechamber a fired case even into the very same gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the OAL of the case? Maybe it needs to be trimmed.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan W:
Have you checked the OAL of the case? Maybe it needs to be trimmed.

All cases trimmed to 2.530"
As mentioned they once fired factory ammo

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
measure the C/L datum of the shoulder of a once fired-unsized case vs. a sized case to see if the shoulder has moved forwrd.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Partial neck sizing, with a full length resizing die, can possibly increase the case headspace.

The case gets "squeezed".

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies! Do you think there will be any pressure issues shooting these loads?

Obviously I'll start at the bottom and work up and be on the lookout for excessive pressure
Cheers
Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No danger if the brass is only long to the shoulder. If a case is tight due to the neck
being oversize, or pushing against the mouth
that will be dangerous. The man that said to see how the fired brass fits was spot on.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McFox:
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Johan mentioned explicitley that also his unsized brass is giving the same resistance as the newly loaded ammo.

Please read more carefully, McFox. He said "empty" cases gave him the same trouble, but did not specify whether those empty cases were UNSIZED or resized.

If you are attempting to neck size with a "conventional" die, then you may be either swelling the shoulder in the sizing process...

very unlikely, unless the cases are work hardend severly.
Yes, unlikely, but worth mentioning when there is no immediately apparent cause.

.... or pulling the shoulder forward as the expander ball is pulled through the (unlubricated?) neck. In either event, it might (or might not) be improper lubrication which is causing your difficulties.

mho desrcribed the situation as it most probably is.
Especially if the load is rather hot, the brass may swell to an extent, where it becomes hard to rechamber a fired case even into the very same gun.

I beg to differ. This is a front-locking BRNO bolt gun. Only actions which are somewhat "stretchy", such as lever actions and some rear-locking bolt guns will allow a case to stretch enough that it fails to re-enter the chamber, even with a "hot" load. If a load generates sufficient pressure to cause difficult re-entry of the case, then the pressure indications will in all likelihood be quite obvious to any experienced shooter.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the replies! Do you think there will be any pressure issues shooting these loads?

Obviously I'll start at the bottom and work up and be on the lookout for excessive pressure
Cheers
Johan

If your powder charge was a sane choice there will be no problem shooting your loads.
When using a FL die to neck size stay far enough up the body so you do not squeeze the body in and push the shoulder forward.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
If your powder charge was a sane choice there will be no problem shooting your loads.
When using a FL die to neck size stay far enough up the body so you do not squeeze the body in and push the shoulder forward.[/QUOTE]

I think this is what happened.

Had a close look last night.

1.Once Fired unsized brass chambered perfectly
2.Once Fired Neck sized empty brass was stiff
3.Once Fired Neck sized loaded ammo was obviously stiff as well.
(all fired in this rifle)

After I cycled a neck sized case a few times and inspected the case I could see a slight ring caused by friction on the shoulder just off the edge.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

My conclusion is that by using a full length die it "squeezed" the sides slightly and that increased the Head to shoulder distance a little. The increase can hardly be noticed or measured!

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
When using a FL die to neck size stay far enough up the body so you do not squeeze the body in and push the shoulder forward.

I think this is what happened.

Had a close look last night.

1.Once Fired unsized brass chambered perfectly
2.Once Fired Neck sized empty brass was stiff
3.Once Fired Neck sized loaded ammo was obviously stiff as well.
(all fired in this rifle)

After I cycled a neck sized case a few times and inspected the case I could see a slight ring caused by friction on the shoulder just off the edge.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I know this sketch is of my .338wm but only to indicate markings!

My conclusion is that by using a full length die it "squeezed" the sides slightly and that increased the Head to shoulder distance a little. The increase can hardly be noticed or measured![/QUOTE]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a headspace gauge, and you'll be able to quantify the problem.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan: Your solution would appear fairly simple. While there is a slight mismatch of your resizing die and your chamber, you can probably solve the problem by turning the die down in the press until you are "paritially full-length sizing" as some people call it. When you have the die deep enough in the press, it will push the shoulder back just enough (without creating more headspace than is desirable) to allow the cartridge to seat in the chamber without significant resistance. The PFLS solution will also typically produce ammunition which is a bit more concentric than neck sizing (with a conventional die) since the entire cartridge is held in alignment with the axis of the reloading die rather than the neck-only being gripped by the die.

It is possible that another sizing die from a different manufacturer would provide different results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about in South Africa, but stateside here, that problem is instantly corrected by a little gizmo called a Body Die...

in fact I neck size my rounds. and if the shoulder is a little hard to chamber, then they get bumped back with a body die...

but in many other calibers I shoot, I use a larger bore's full length die for a body die...

such as for a 243, I just use the full length 260 die, for a body die ( spindle removed of course)

for my 6.5 x 57, instead of megabucks for a body die for that, since it is not a common caliber stateside here... I just use a 7 x 57 die instead...

can even do that with loaded ammo as long as the case is lubed.. avoiding the need to disassemble, like I use to have to do...

for your 270, just use an 06 die and adjust according since the 270 is just a hair longer in length... 3 mm I believe...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could it be that your neck is too tight?.
Lube the case mouth and champher the inside
of the mouth. It looks like your case is
bulging a scosh.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
So Seafire, could I use a 375 H&H to bump shoulder of 300 H&H?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I question "bumping the shoulder". The case has
bulged a bit. I would try pulling the decapper
from a 30/06 and trying to size things back.
If that does it then find out why it bulged.
Are you crimping, was the case mouth champhered etc.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be a different size FL die.

Can you bump the shoulder with the proper size die without the decapping/expander assembly? Say bump shoulder of 300 H&H case with a 300 H&H FL die w/o neck expander button?

I have both FL dies & Lee neck dies

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Does it have to be a different size FL die.

Can you bump the shoulder with the proper size die without the decapping/expander assembly? Say bump shoulder of 300 H&H case with a 300 H&H FL die w/o neck expander button?

I have both FL dies & Lee neck dies

If the case has not been loaded just FL resize it with the die set down enough to move the shoulder.
If the round is loaded a lot of trim dies can be used as a body die. The best practice is to set the FL die right the first time you use it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
So Seafire, could I use a 375 H&H to bump shoulder of 300 H&H?

Sorry, haven't worked with either cartridge so I'd be talking out my fanny if I said I knew..

I certain would try it on a piece of brass to see what I got tho..

sorry, I work with the 308, 7 x 57 , 06 and Win Mag sized cases pretty much...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:

if it won't chamber and you have a bulged shoulder then you went too much.. adjust your die back up and resize it again.. it will straighten out that little snafu..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
You will need to "Pull" the Bullet from the Case also,or you could create a bigger problem.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 270 w should clear everything in a 30/06
die but the shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
I've fired a starting load of the loads in question and no signs of pressure or anything out of the ordinary. The bolt opens normally and I've cycled a full mag without too much difficulty. the bolt closes a little harder than usual but if extend case life and get the accuracy I require I'll be happy. Have not shot for groups yet will do that next week and report back.

Thank you for everyone's input. I'll look into the "shoulder bumping" at a later stage if necessary.

Cheers
Johan