THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: 80% case filled - use a filler with nitro powder ?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 80% case filled - use a filler with nitro powder ?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
in that small of a case, you shouldnt need a filler, just a hot primer... not sure about THAT load, though

jeffe

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hmmm..... now you have me curious. Between N133 and N135 is a big gap. Since your powder is a ball powder made in Belgium, I wonder if it is the same as either Ramshot's Xterminator or Tac? Xterminator can be loaded using H322 data (starting loads), while Tac can be loaded using H4895 data (again, starting loads). However, 2520 is slower than N135 on my charts, so your 507 might just be similar to Tac.

Tac happens to be one of my favorite powders. Ramshot lists 38.7 grains of Tac for the 7/08 with 160 grain bullets, so that sounds pretty darn close to the 39 grains for 150 gr. bullet you list.

I also wonder if they make the powder they sell here as "big game" domestically. It would be a better match in the 7/08 (just a hair slower than RL15, I4064, about like Varget).

Do you happen to have a web link to their chart? Flemish would be fine, but French and I do not get along too well.... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dangers? Yes, the pressure will get high real fast. accurate 223 is not suitable for a 284 winchester, way to fast. I played with it in 30-06. The pressure spiked very quickly. If there is any way to get some slow burning powder do it. Fillers?... don't use them. I used to fiddle around with cast bullets in a lot of calibers. It tried dacron on top of Unique in 7.5 Swiss. It did not help anything. Did not damage anything. Keep in mind fillers can act as a secondary projectile. The wad of stuff you crammed in there wacks into the bullet and can create a ring in the chamber. This was more common in old soft steel barrels. I watched a guy ruin a high wall 38-55 this way. You are much better off using the right powder for the job in the first place.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

OK, thanks for the information. Will leave the fillers as they are : no fillers for me is it !
About het Belgian powder called PCL 507, it's a spherical
ball powder (like A2230), according to their tables it's situated between Vitha N133& N135.
I think to compare it to Accurate powders, it's more 2520.
The 7mm is a 7mm-08, using Sierra 150 grs HPBT (and 39 grs of PCL507)with Remington cases, CCI LR Benchrest primers.
Already have good results (300 yards : 291/300 points) but we all want to improve, right? :-)
Now I am waiting for 168 grs Berger bullets, using N150 (which is also very good for the 7.5*55 Swiss I own using GB422 Lapua Scenar bullets)
PS : Accurate gives a load for 150 grs 7mm-08 using AA2230
Min 33.8 grs & max 38 grs.
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention Ramshot, a few years ago I emailed

Ramshot with exactly the same question as yours.

They replied : 'yes', but when I asked for more

specifications, they never replied...

There is also a 'slower' version of PCL507, which

is called PCL511. PCL powders are also known as

PRB powders, the factoryname is "PB Clermont Belgique",

unknown to the world but very very good powders.

A time ago we could not get PCL because the army bought

a very big lot (I was told, not confirmed).

The idea of the 'filler' was just to create a 'artifical'

compressed load which is known to give better accuracy.

PS : I'll email you.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the chart! If you have access to the 511, I would try that: it should use two or three more grains of powder, filling the case up a little more.

In my experience, there are a lot of things more important that a few percent increase in loading density, though. Once you get to 80% density, any gains are very difficult to detect. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote