THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Scales or powder measure, which is best for my needs?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scales or powder measure, which is best for my needs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just thinking about updating and improving some of my reloading equipment.Right now I've got an older RCBS Uniflow measure and also a set of 505 scales. I've been looking on ebay for the last month or so for a set of 10-10 scales either RCBS or Ohaus, all the same. I then got to thinking about a more precision measure instead of the Uniflow. I am not loading for competition but I do like to get the most out of my reloads. Seems that my 505's occassionaly "hang up" or stick and I have to tap on the end of the beam to get it to re-settle. I'm not loading thousands of rounds, prolly more like 3 to 5 hundred per year with no more then 50 or so per session. I hardly use the Uniflow and just count on my scales to do the job. Any thoughts or ideas?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually there's nothing wrong with your current setup. if the scale is hanging most likely it's just a bit dirty, and the uniflow is a good measure

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to think about an electronic scale. It isn't "necessary" but is a hassle saver.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your question is powder-dependent. What powders are you using, and how much precision do you require?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like a measure for some powders & a digital scale for some. It depends on how much & what you are loading. If I was buying a new scale, I would buy a Dillon D-Term.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cobra,

Sounds to me like you've got a good reloading "system" already in place.

I have a RCBS uniflow Measure, an RCBS 05-10 (or 10-05 whatever; Dear, it's ancient) and a Lyman 1200 DPS electonic dispenser system.

All three definately have their places on my bench. Just depends on what the application is at the time although it appears that I load in larger amounts than you do, sometimes 200-300 .222's or .223's in one session. For big game hunting loads 50 or 100 at a time.

I've mastered seemingly consistant measuring/dispensing with the Uniflow and for very fine ball powders it is very fast once it's set up. Over the years has assisted in mnaufacturing oustandingly accurate & consistant target loads; I use it primarily for .22 Hornet, .222 & .223 Rem. loads due to the ball powders used in these cartridges. When using stick powders occaisionally it "crunches", hangs up and requires some minor coaxing and handle tweaking to get it right but then for this application is set just "below" the desired measure and topped off with the RCBS Scale & powder trickler.

Having said all that I tend to the Lyman now for "large" jobs (to me over 20 rounds). First, the manual says that it is optimal with "Stick" powders although the finest sand-like ball powders also measure exactly accurate doses - every time. Even with as small a measure as 11.0 grs. of AA-1680 for a .22 Hornet. I haven't tried a measure smaller than that.

Again, last night the RCBS 05-10 Scale was already set up and calibrated for 21.5 grs as was the Lyman. Tried the results by weighing each against the other quite a few times and they are both apparently calibrated exactly the same. No variations between them, so I'm sold onboth Scale's accuracy.

FWIW - I enjoy the Lyman because by the time I put the pan on the scale, press the button - it dispenses the powder while I seat the bullet on the previously dispensed one.

The only draw-back for the Lyman 1200 DPS model I have is the required 1/2 hour Warm-Up period. "No" I don't leave it on all the time to override this either, although I guess you could.

Good luck in your consideration for "optimizing" your loading.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If 40 + years of re loading and having all fingers Eyes and teeth of which I was born with , is an acceptable bench mark . Stay with a RCBS , Ohaus manual scale . Least wise KEEP IT and check your loads against any electronic scale you may purchase . As for manual balance beams sticking , their balance arm pivots on triangulated points in the ( Saddle ) which have hard nylon pucks for lack of a better word . Replace those if worn out , sometimes their just dirty and need cleaning . Depends on how much usage they've had.

I personally use a Manual Balance beam and I've got no less than #7 junker electronic scales to prove why .# 3 are mine # 4 are from other reloaders who used them for varying lengths of time and checking loads against them .They are several different ( Brand names ) which ALL are Made in China !.

They also came to the conclusion those Chinese made electronic scales were JUNK , just like most everything else produced in that Dump !.

Now before the lot of you jump all over me about Electronic Scales , know this . I OWN a very high quality E scale but it's K's of $ and has a far more important role in my Lab , than on my loading bench . Manuals have served me for 40 years plus I see no reason to change that .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not yet sold on the electronic scales myself. They may work well but like Dr.K said I've heard a few horror stories. I may just stay with the Uniflow, and clean it up some as its got a little light rust in the drum area. If not, I can prolly just buy a new drum.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re: electronic scales. Been using the same Lyman for about 15 years with no problems so far...

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveScales first; My 2ea. 50 some year old Redding beam balances(scales) still function better than I. I have heavy handedly crunched 2 electronic scales. Eeker

For some of the extruded powders I still occasionaly use my 52 year old Redding dispenser, but it is really starting to loosen up.For short runs my bottom of the line Lee serves just fine. For most everything else the big green RCBS is put into action. If I just want to play around The Lyman 1200 is used , but not often. By the time it takes to set up and run, the bullets could be already seated.

If you are not doing a lot of shooting get the inexpensive Lee. Later use it for a quick back up as you grow into something more sophisticated. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
cobrajet,

read this thread as well before you do anything!

This makes very interesting reading and one can just learn more from it.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
For a good understanding of scales, how different kinds compare (balance beam, spring, and strain gauge), do not listen to any rants posted here. Go to this site, and read up on them as much as you want.

Balance beam scales don't even measure the same THING as spring or strain-gauge scales (balance beams measure mass, not weight).

Then you can make up your own mind as to which "weighing method" you want to use, and why.

And remember, either method can be just as accurate as the others, depending on what you are willing to pay. (if U.S. importers aren't willing to pay for accurate foreign electronic (strain gauge) scales, it isn't because people from Asia can't make them accurate, it is because the importers pad their bottom line by buying cheap and selling high. If you want better quality scales, bitch at the local importers, not the foreign workers.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighing_scale

P.S. There IS an existing, American, patented, scale which measures by the balance beam method, but reports the results on a digital display.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both electronic and manual scales by rcbs.the electronic can be a real pain ( fluctuates until it warms up ect. However I use it along with the manual and with the combination wouldnt do with out either

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote