Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 SAUM Reloading Suggestions
 Login/Join

posted
< !--color--> I was just curious to find out if anyone here had a pet load for this round. I'm just now starting to work some up and thought I'd ask if anyone had some favorites to share.

I have devoloped one that consists of:

Hornady 180Gr. Interbonds
66gr. Reloader#22
Remington Brass
CCI#200 Lg. Rifle Primers

These have been quite accurate and given consistant 1/2 in. groupings @ 100 yds.

I would like to give some others a try for the 165 or 190 grain projectiles if anyone would like to share them.

Posts: 13 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
59.5 gr Varget
150 gr Hornady SST

57 gr Varget
165 gr Hornady SST

So far I have shot a mule deer at 230, a tahr at 265, and a chamois at 200 and got total penetration on all.

Shoots well under an inch, but I don't spend much time at 100 yards; shoot in the field at longer range.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input AnotherAZWriter.
I'll pick-up some Varget and try your formulas.

Seeing that I do most of my hunting here in Michigan the most average shot out in the field is 100 yds or less, .. unless I'm hunting on my 80 acre farm then I can wizz a few out to 500 yards if needed. (not that it will ever happen)

I'm planning on a Elk hunt out West in either Montana or Idaho and want to keep the heavier grain loads for that.

I'm still debating on using the 300 SAUM or my 7mm Rem. Magnum for that hunt. It's a coin toss at the moment until I can put this 300 through some loads to see how it performs against my 7mm Mag.

posted Hide Post
I too seat my reloads just off the rifle lans,.. been doing it that way for a LONG time now. One of the most simplest things any reloader can do to help in tweaking your round's accuracy. I will make up a few rounds set at various measurements from the contact point to find the "Sweet" spot and the rest are set up at that measurement.

(Just as long as you don't go past the "Max OAL" for your round,... sometimes that will happen with a rifle that's always used hot-loads, or mil-surp weapons )

one of us
posted Hide Post
One other point - my bullets are seated way out, as far as they can go and still feed in the mag. Be sure to measure the OAL that puts the bullet on the rifling and go from there.

You are right about the coin toss...either will work. I have shot a ton of stuff with a 7mm Rem, but my favorite elk cartridge is a .338. But either of your two rounds will work just fine.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote