Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best way to clean old brass?
 Login/Join

posted
I am starting a reloading project for an old 40-65 Winchester. Does anyone have advice on the best way to clean old brass? Thnx for any tips you might have.

Posts: 10 | Location: utah | Registered: 12 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try commercally available brass cleaners. You don't mention how 'old' it is , but you should inspect carefully fo cracks etc.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've used a formula recommended by the NRA and Frankford Arsenal, which is a quart of white vinegar and a tablespoon of salt. Dip the brass, agitate lightly for about 20 minutes and all tarnish and residue will loosen and disappear. Rinse thoroughly with water, dry and go forward. If real old, beware of hardening of the brass from toxic chemical reaction from airborne agents. You might want to consider annealing the cases.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good high quality auto polish in your tumbler media

Posts: 28 | Location: phoenix az | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PUT SOME BRASSO IN YOUR TUMBLER MEDIA AND LET EM GO FOR 24 HRS THAT ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL ...........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've taken old brass, put it in a mesh bag, and dropped it the washing machine with a load of dirty jeans. You'd be surprised how clean it gets. Let it dry good and tumble as usual.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the washing machine idea.

I use Birchwood and Casey liquid cleaner. Gets stuff that vibrating doesn't.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
How old? do you mean just 10 years old? 20?.. then you might can clean it... older than that? order some new stuff...

but, if you want to clean it, and clean it well, get a new bag of lyman walnut media, and a bottle of turbo media polish, put 1/3 of the bottle in the new bag of media, and let it run OPEN TOPPED for 2 hours. Then throw your brass in, let it run for 4 hours, and be prepared to whip down the first couple batches, as the walnut and turbo will have a red/brown walnut stain. the brass will be BEAUTIFUL

Brasso is BAD for brass, as it cleans by etching, don't put this in your tumbler

jeffe

Posts: 39710 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Ditto "Brasso is BAD for brass", it leeches the zinc from the copper and makes it brittle. It contains ammonia and that's what does it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANX BOB I DIDN'T KNOW THAT INFO ABOUT BRASSO. HOW ABOUT THE LIQUID CAR WAX ? DOES THAT WORK OK? I GOTTA CHANGE MY MEDIA NOW I LIKE MY BRASS TO LAST A LONG TIME. MOST OF IT IS ONCE FIRED GUN SHOW BRASS ANYWAY.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL..............

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I use car polish among other things. Check and be certain it doesn't contain ammonia. Many do. I still have a bit of DuPont #7, an old polish, that I had called and found it didn't have ammonia. I've heard of others using Turtle Wax which supposedly they checked with the manufacturer, but I don't know. I also have Dillon's polish and Lyman's. They all work about the same but the car polish is more easily and inexpensively acquired and there's no difference in results.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and great advice. My brass is probably 30+ years old. I will inspect carefully after cleaning.

Posts: 10 | Location: utah | Registered: 12 January 2003Reply With Quote