New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oops, am I in trouble?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Loading some .45 acp rounds today using 4.4 grains of Bullseye and a 225 grain cast bullet. When I finished I discovered 1.8 grains of powder in the bottom of the loading tray. I inspected each case to make sure I hadn't missed any and they all looked like they had the same amount of powder but obviously it came from somewhere so one case may have only 2.6 grains instead of 4.4. My question: do you think that will be enough to push the bullet out of the barrel? I suspect it is, and these are practice rounds so no damage will be done unless the bullet sticks in the barrel and the next round feeds. Any thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weigh each loaded round to eliminate all doubt!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never had any luck trying to sort loaded rounds for that little weight.

The differants in case weight could make up the differants.

I set that patch aside for paractice and keep a brass rod around if the bullet gets stuck in the barrel but 2.6 grs of bullseye shouldn't have any trouble driving the bullet out the barrel.

Might not work the action properly.

Just be careful when shooting that bunch of ammo and be sure you don't drive another bullet behind one stuck in the barrel.

No rapid fire strings.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Or pull all the bullets and start over, safest alternative

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts?

Your loading habits and procedures need to be changed. If this was a surprise for you, what else did you do that is going to surprise you?
Do you know if you double charged any rounds?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
You could load up 10-12 rounds with 2.6 gr of powder and see if the bullet clears the barrel consistently.

Of course the safest thing to do is pull them all and start over.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote