New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you seen this article?
 Login/Join

<Norwester67>
posted
Does any one know where I can find an article written by someone who was testing a .223 I think by using about 20 different powders but one gun, the same brass, bullets etc. That's about all the details I know so far. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Norwester67,

I am not sure this is what you are looking for but it's similiar.

rifle's HANDLOADER ammunition reloading journal
october 2000, no.207

on P.40 ".223 Remington Update"
The author is Ken Waters. Test done with a Rem 700 24" varmint-weight barrel and Lyman 10-X Jr. Targetspot scope. He tests 6 bullets, each bullet is loaded with 3~7 different powders, there's 26 different loads, some are marked accurate some are not. Article occupies 3.5 pages.

There's another article but is done with many factory ammunition shot from a machine rest rifle.

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Norwester67>
posted
At the end of this article does the author come out and say accurate 2015 turns out to be the most accurate powder and has the highest velocities?? The article I'm looking for comes to this conclusion & I want to find & read it. Thanks for the help. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
The article stated above turns out 25.0 grns H4895 most accurate with 53 grn Hornady Match bullets. It has remarks about Accurate XMR-2015 in the middle but nothing except some introduction and "...eminently suited for the 223 remington. It is capable of fine accuracy...".

Accurate 2015 loads with "accurate" remark in the load chart includes :

40 grn Nosler ballistic tip, 25.0 grn, 3525fps, load length 2.20"

50 grn Nosler ballistic tip, 24.5 grn, 3246fps,
load length 2.26"

May I ask why are you looking for the article?

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks wrote an article for Precision Shooting looking at different loads for the 223 Rem in a Highpower Service Rifle Context.

He ran through a bunch (I'd have to go back and check how many exactly) of different powders launching the 70 JLK, 80 JLK, and 80 Sierra IIRC. Testing was done at 600 yards with avg velocities and accuracy recorded. I don't recall if 2015 was one of the tested powders or whether it was preferred. RE15 was one of the top performing powders I do recall.

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Norwester67>
posted
Pyrotek: I just purchased a rem 700 bdl .223 varminter & was looking for some bullet loads and powder combinations. Friend of mine mentioned reading something somwhere about 2015 being the best all around powder for the .223 I'd like to see what exactly was tsted and how. Thanks