New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H 250-270 gn for 300 yds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to South Africa hunting for plains game, with Cape Kudu topping the list. The terrain there on the concession often requires long shots.

I was planning on taking my 375 H&H 300 grain Silvertips and still may.

Nearly all of the vendors are out of stock, no back order of 250-270 grain 375 offerings.

I see 260 grain Nosler Partitions available. I have had great luck with 180 gn Partitions in my 30-06, but many people claim Partitons are just not that accurate; shooting 300 yards, I am going to need a good grouper. I guess I should just buy a box and try them, but it is not like they are $10.00 a box to be doing much experimenting with.

I have no experience with Barnes, but the TSX 270 grain offering is available.

My third choice is Sierra 250 grain GameKings. The truth be told this should probably be what I go with. It is hard to beat a quality made cup and core bullet for accuracy! Currently out of stock/no BO

270 grain Swift A Frame. I never used but similar in theory to Nosler Partition.

I am open to suggestions, but please don't recommend something that is not available and who knows when it will be. I do have five months so go ahead I guess.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the 270 TSX. That's what I used in Namibia in '07.

Zebra at 150
Gemsbok at 400
Kudu at 250

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading 235 gr Extended Range Raptors from Cutting Edge Bullets. They are proving to be very accurate.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of partitions over the years. Yes they usually don't group as tight as say the Nosler BT or accubond. But we are talking 1.5MOA vs moa. Even at 300yds you won't notice.

I have my 380PDK I only shoot the 260Accubond in it. Works great. Very accurate and performs just like the description. While not a H&H I move them 2650+

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
235 gr Barnes TSX or the 250 gr Sierra Gameking!!! Both have worked admirably for me in South Africa each and every time I went.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have found 270 grn TSXs to be very accurate...MOA or better

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is less than 1 MOA with Nosler 180 gn Partitons with my generic 30-06 load, i.e. it worked well in that gun, it should be OK in this one.

I use 55 gns of 4350 and forget what my seating depths is, and it is about .75 MOA in most pre 64 Win 70's. Plenty good for hunting.

1.5 MOA is certainly good, 4.5 inches @ 300 yards.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My experience is less than 1 MOA with Nosler 180 gn Partitons with my generic 30-06 load,

There you go. I've had far worse trouble getting good groups when I tried Barnes than I ever did with a Partition. I'm sure the new Barnes are far better than the old ones. Just hard to un-remember Roll Eyes

If someone told me I could go to Africa but the only bullet I had was the 260 Part. I'd would be a happy camper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I sight in all my rifles to be dead on at 25 yards and 2 1/2" high at 100 yards.

With your 300g Silvertip moving at 2550 fps the ballistic calculator at http://www.realguns.com/calc/exteriorballistics?calc

puts you

25 yards dead on
50 yards 1.3" high
100 yards 2.6" high
200 yards dead on
250 yards 4.3" low
300 yards 11" low

Not sure you gain much in trajectory shooting a 250 or 270g bullet

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
260 Accubonds and 300 Sierra Gamekings work nicely for me.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
260 Accubonds were going to be my choice, but heaven knows when they will be available.

I move my 300 grainers @ an honest 2446 fps. I was thinking 2.4" high @ 100, dead on @ 200, and 9.9" low @ 300, using the old paper charts for a 300 gn 375 Spitzer.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If DG are on the menu shoot 300's. If not shoot anything. Inside of 300 yards anything out of the old H&H will be more than lethal enough. I shot my wildebeest at about 350 yards with 350gr Woodleighs traveling at about 2400fps.
Know your load's trajectory and relax.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've shot 300 grain bullets out to 300 yards in Namibia for zebra but I was set up 2.5" high at 100 yards and it still put me almost 11" low at 300.

As far as the 260 grain Partition accuracy goes, it depends on if your gun likes them. My gun will shoot bugholes at 100 yards when pushed with 76 grains of IMR4350.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
My 375 H&H will keep all shots touching at 100 yds with the 270 Grain TSX and RL-15. It's my do anything load. Will handle anything from an Impala to a Cape Buffalo. I shot a bunch of Blue Wildebeest and Gemsbok on a cull hunt last year and this load/bullet worked great.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have had good results and good accuracy with both the 260-grain partitions and the 270-grain Barnes TSX. I have shot about 8 elk and two deer with the Noslers, and 3 elk with the TSXs and have only recovered two of the Noslers. I have also had really good accuracy and hunting results with the 270-grain Hornady. My one and only experience with the 250-grain Gamekings was on a cow elk where the bullet blew up on the shoulder. The most accurate powder I have found for the Noslers and the TSXs is Reloader 15. In the four rifles I have used them in (one factory Model 70, one custom model 70, a custom FN Mauser, and a Ruger No. 1), my hunting loads have gotten around 2,750 to 2,800 fps and group sizes have ranged from 5/8" (custom Model 70) to 1-1/2" (Ruger No. 1), depending on the gun.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
The most accurate bullet in my Sako Hunter 375 has been the 260 gr accubond

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 260 and 300 gr. Nosler Partitions and they work great and leave good exit holes on Kudu and Eland..

The locals around Idaho swear by the 250 gr. Sierra BTSP for elk and they show me some nice perfectly expanded bullets every year. I know the 300 gr. Sierra BTSP is a hammer on about anything you want to shoot, have used it extensively on PG...

I'm not sure there is such a thing as bullet failure in a 375 H&H regardless of what the bullet does.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote