Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mid-90's Primer Shortage
 Login/Join

posted
The primer shortage of the mid-1990's happened well before my aquaintance with the internet. I just remember that you couldn't buy them for months, and when you finally could, it was at inflated prices from gougers. Does anyone know why it happened? Could it happen again, with primers or other components such as powder?

Posts: 21 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Fritz1255
I was aware of Federal primers being in short supply. I did not have any difficulty getting Winchester, Remington or CCI.
I buy my large pistol primers in lots of 20,000 or 30,000 and large rifle in lots of 10,000 or so.
There are times when several of my buddies and I will order 80,000 to 100,000 large and small pistol primers at one time to save on the shipping.
I've not run into any shortage of powders other then locally the store ran out. Every once in a while I've found good buys on powder, the most recent being RL-7, and bought up 15 or 18 pounds of the stuff. Good place to find good buys on powder are gun shows on the last day. The vender may not have made his minimum and needs money for motel, gas, what ever to get home.
If I have enough on hand it won't matter if there's a temporary shortage.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The primer shortage was caused by The Clintontoons saying they were going to have a reloading lic. and limit the number of supplys one could buy. Also they talked about mandateing a limited self life for primers. Thankfully that stuff never happen.That triggered a lot of buying and stocking up. There are some people out there now who well never have to buy another primer again.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter got it right,
Some folks blamed gulf war need...no such luck, all about the politics of the Klintonistas...

graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Also they talked about mandateing a limited self life for primers.

The only people who ever talked about that were the shooters who were out buying thousands of primers -- and they were the ones who caused the shortage. Pure panic.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've found that I will only run out of primers when it's 11:27 PM, when there's two feet of snow, when the match is tomorrow and I'm out of ammo.
I was not among the panic buyers.
I found that buying in large quanity makes for cheaper primers. Plus I'm lazy, if I can find source for the product I want and get it shipped to me, rather then me going out and buying it I'll do it everytime.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote