Find
Notify
Tools

2400 in the K Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lil Gun is unavailable in Australia .
Has anyone tried 2400 ? Would be interested in your thoughts in regards to accuracy and velocity with 40 - 45 gn projectiles .
Have been using 296 in my CZ 527 but unable to get the level of accuracy I would like .Looking for sub MOA .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a k-hornet, but in my hornet I have only used 2400. Best accuracy came with 9.6grains and the Nosler 45gr. hornet bullet. it would keep 10 shot well within a dime at 50 yards.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2400 works fine in a K-Hornet. Just start with Hornet loads and work up by .1 grain increments until velocity and pressure indications are where you want them.

Many older manuals list much heavier loads with 2400 than recent manuals. I can't believe that the older loads were as much "overpressure" as the newer data would indicate. Not sure where the disconnect is, but at any rate, 2400 is generally a better performer in my K-Hornet than 4227.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you have available down under but I use Accurate 1680 in my K. Gives great accuracy in my NEF.

Butch

Posts: 62 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that the pressure limits for the hornet have been reduced several times over the years. I shoot a 77/22h which essentially the same as a 77/44m. So just like the contender with an upper pressure limit that is lower using big fat cases and much higher using smaller based cases, I so load my hornet . Old data is all over the map. Read your own cases and increase charges slowly as noted above, until you get accuracy and case life you can live with. I'm getting very good accuracy at 100 yards with 296, 6 1/2 primers and the bulk remington psp @ a chrono'd 2650. I understand 296 works better at higher levels. That's a lot of power. BTW take your 77/22h magazine apart and mill/file out the front to minimum and get to use 1.84 oal with room for more propellant. Good shooting.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
BTW take your 77/22h magazine apart and mill/file out the front to minimum and get to use 1.84 oal with room for more propellant. Good shooting.

Helluva suggestion. Don't know why I haven't thought of that before. But then, I don't know why I didn't think of Pokemon or cell phones, either.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
AA1680 is the way to go in the K-hornet.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote